Vista and XP dual boot

D_block

ok guys, here is the scenario.

im currently running xp and vista on a 120 gig hdd ( dual boot ). now because vista is the lastest release of miccrosoft it has to be installed last when a dual on a single hdd.

im in the process of installing win xp x64 since my mobo and processor supports a 64 bit architecture. Now what i wanna know is, what is the best way going about doing over my xp without doing much harm to vista. Or would i have to reinstall or recover vista anyway once i decide to do over xp ?

Hi guys,

here is my solution for a fast dual-boot.

If you have single harddisk: you must have one primary partition for each OS.

You can create or modify your partitions with "Symantec Partition Magic", "Acronis Disk Director Suite" or something else.

If you want Vista installs first - do it on first Partition.

After installing vista boot with any tool-cd or Acronis DDS or use any other partitioner to make your first Partition invisible.

The boot from your XP CD and install XP on the second partition. After install of XP is ok boot any partitioner and set your first partition again to visible.

After reboot vista starts.

Now go to http://www.boot-us.com/ and get this fine free boot-manager. Install is simple. Its freeware.

Then after next reboot you have a simple way to select your booting OS.

But be careful: If you have different OS on two or more harddisks, you nee the full-version (costs 15 €).

I think its possible with other free bootmanagers too.

"Boot-Us" was my first choice and a need only 10 minutes to install and configure (under Windows).

OK. If you give us more information about your system and your plans on what partition of what disk you want what OS install - its more easier to help you.

Greetz from cold germany