Is hotfix integration possible at all ?

@smilodon

Again i strongly recommend using an update pack which features direct integration instead of the slow and space taking svcpack.inf integrating method. Now since i'm guessing that you want more updates than only the high-priority one's, then Xable's update pack is out of the question and you should concentrate on RyanVM's beta update pack instead from his forum : http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5700. Then after having all the updates sorted out, then just go and locate the nLite addons for the rest of the stuff you need, like WMP11 and IE7 etc. I don't use WMP11/IE7 myself, so i don't really know anything about that, but check out Booogy's WMP11 direct integration solution. Don't use the RVMintegrator if you want to use nLite also, but just use nLite for everything and in one pass only, as that's the recommended way by both nuhi and RyanVM. Of course if you have some RVMintegrator only addons, then you have to use the RVMintegrator, but if you aren't, then simply just stick to nLite only.

Edited by Martin H

I don't think i understand... nLite and HFSLIP are using direct integration and so is with any UpdatePack... why preffer UpdatePacks ? (maybe only because they are easyer to download ?) Or am i wrong, are UpdatePacks more "compressed" ?

Martin H, the problem with your suggested method is also the fact, that after WMP11, IE7 and .NET's there will be critical hotfixes for these things - so you need to use other mothods besides UpdatePack to get ALL hotfixes.

Anyway - here are HFSLIP results on XP home SP2.

I used hotfix list from - http://users.telenet.be/tc76/winup/_winxpsp2.html

From checboxes i chose:

IE7, MSXML6, ADOBE FLASH, WMP11

And the result is... (these i had to manually get to make it ALL updates installed)

Failed Windows XP Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0: x86 (KB928416)  5. jaanuar 2008. a. Windows Update  
Failed Windows XP Update for Windows XP (KB934238) 5. jaanuar 2008. a. Windows Update
Failed Windows XP Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0: x86 (KB928416) 5. jaanuar 2008. a. Windows Update
Failed Windows XP Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0: x86 (KB928416) 5. jaanuar 2008. a. Windows Update
Failed Windows XP Update for Windows XP (KB934238) 5. jaanuar 2008. a. Windows Update
Windows XP Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (KB110806) 5. jaanuar 2008. a. Windows Update
Windows XP Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB928366) 5. jaanuar 2008. a. Windows Update

Windows XP Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 5. jaanuar 2008. a. Windows Update
Windows XP Update for Windows XP (KB942763) 5. jaanuar 2008. a. Windows Update
Windows XP Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - December 2007 (KB890830) 5. jaanuar 2008. a. Windows Update
Windows XP Root Certificates Update 5. jaanuar 2008. a. Windows Update
Windows XP Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - May 2007 (KB890830) 5. jaanuar 2008. a. Windows Update
Windows XP Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0: x86 (KB829019) 5. jaanuar 2008. a. Windows Update
Windows XP Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1 5. jaanuar 2008. a. Windows Update

Windows XP Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) 5. jaanuar 2008. a. Windows Update

Mostly .NET and validation stuff that i didnt choose...

But there is the fact that i couldn't finish off KB934238 and .NET3 with the manual way. It just failed over and over again.

Basically, these hotfixes were not in the list, so there is nothing to blame HFSLIP for. nLite doesn't have its own list, so as i tried the forum list or all hotfixes I downloaded with Windows Updates Downloader(WUD) there was a lot of errors and many failed.

Now another test.. all i added was [Release].Net Framework All in One x86 (incl 3.5) with RVM Integrator.

Result...

Failed Windows XP Update for .NET Framework 3.0: x86 (KB932471)  6. jaanuar 2008. a. Windows Update  
Failed Windows XP Update for .NET Framework 3.0: x86 (KB932471) 6. jaanuar 2008. a. Windows Update
Failed Windows XP Update for .NET Framework 3.0: x86 (KB932471) 6. jaanuar 2008. a. Windows Update
Windows XP Root Certificates Update 6. jaanuar 2008. a. Windows Update
Windows XP Update for Windows XP (KB942763) 6. jaanuar 2008. a. Windows Update
Windows XP Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - December 2007 (KB890830) 6. jaanuar 2008. a. Windows Update
Windows XP Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - May 2007 (KB890830) 6. jaanuar 2008. a. Windows Update
Windows XP February 2007 CardSpace Update for Windows XP (KB925720) 6. jaanuar 2008. a. Windows Update
Windows XP Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) 6. jaanuar 2008. a. Windows Update

As you see, no dot net's and hotfixes for them. Only bad thing was KB932471, a hotfix for .NET 3, it was never able to install itself successfully.

At the moment HFSLIP is better than nLite and nLite is better than RVM SP2 update pack.

HFSLIP (+/-)

*12 more hotfixes for ALL updates to be installed (6 of them dot net stuff HFSLIP cant handle)

*If dot net AIO is integrated - 6 hotfixes more, that HFSLIP can handle

- You should get most of hotfixes with WUD, and some one by one

+There is a concrete list of hotfixes and to what folders they go, so no need to hassle with type2 hotfixes or sorf them from type1 ones.

- Setting up for the integration takes a bit more time than with nLite.. a bit like manual way, but gives the same result as nLite and is a bit easier.

+++ In the end you get 98% of hotfixes integrated (including validation tools, but no dot net stuff)

nLite (+/-)

*15 more hotfixes for ALL updates to be installed (6 of them nLite can't handle for sure)

- You have to hassle on what hotfix list you should use to get the result you need (this mainly means more runs on virtual machine)

+Setting up nLite and using it is very simple

- In the end you will never get some type2 or other non-standard hotfixes installed with nLite alone (cant handle .net-s)

+nLite handles WMP11 (with WMP11 splitstreamer installed) and IE7 quite well

RVM Integrator / nLite, but with RVM update pack (+/-)

*41 more hotfixes for ALL updates to be installed (41 of them RVM update pack doesn't include)

+Fairly easy to use and download

- In the end you still need another method to get IE7, WMP11

- And then critical hotfixes for these some

@Smilodon

Ok, sorry then; you seem to know what you're doing :)

I thought that you where going to integrate through svcpack.inf, rather than directly integrate(slipstream) the updates, which surely is a waste of space and install time. Yes, as you say, then the benefit from using an update pack(besides direct integration, which is the no.1 advantage and which you are already doing), is that for all the standard updates, then you just need to download one pack, with all the files and reg entries and install scripts allready compiled for you, instead of having to download over 100 updates and manually add to nLite or whatever people else use(i only have knowledge about nLite, and have never had any reason to use other tools like hfslip). Then if you need other updates, then you of course still need to locate and download them, but the aim of the update packs are also not to get you everything installed, but just to get you the base fixes in order(as many actually don't need anything else, like me, since i use Opera and foobar2000 and dosen't use .Net).

Anyway, if i where you, then i would use nLite or the RVMintegrator to integrate RyanVM's latest beta update pack, RyanVM's .NET AIO addon, Booogy's WMP11 solution and MrNxDmX IE7 + updates addon, which i then believe would give you all you need, but if you like your solution better, then that's of course fine :) Also, there can be other addons that are better than those i listed, as i really wouldn't know as i don't use those kinda things myself, but they where just some quick examples i found...

Sorry for butting in and it seems that you are on the right track, then(as long as you use direct integration, or atleast for the base fixes, then that's the main point i where after) :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanx for the reply.

About the UpdatePacks vs HFSLIP... in my opinion.

HFSLIP has a kind of pre-made list that works 100%, just like an UpdatePack.

It's harder to get all you want and set it up with HFSLIP, but you can easily choose what you want and what not and add more.

With UpdatePack, it's easy to get and integrate, but you can't take out some stuff or add more to the UpdatePack (you could but it would be harder than using HFSLIP i guess.)

And as using less different tools is recommended by many people, I recommend HFSLIP for demanding people.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I am in the struggle too. i have read somewhere SP

will be out around july. too late for me. No need to log down window supdate for all the necessary list of hotfixes. here is an up to date list> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx //select zr platform,sp$$....

i chose to integrate using the batch file provided on unattanded.msfn.com, works well, however, I am not sure in which order I should integrate the hotfixes>

---doesnt matter??

---iN tHe order of the KB numbers (from smallest to highest]??

---in the order that online MS update does it....??

anyone?

When running a batchfile with a 'for' loop(*.exe) and the /integrate switch on a folder with all the updates, then the updates gets installed chronologically and you can only change the order by renaming the updates into another chronological order, but you shouldn't do that, however...

Edited by Martin H