Difference between xp 86 & xp 64 bit editions

Dvij

You get XP x64, which is 64bit and XP x86, which is 32bit. You do NOT get an 86bit operating system.

XP 64bit will run both 32bit and 64bit apps. It requires a processor that supports x64 instructions. An AMD Athlon64 is an example, but Intel has similar CPU's as well.

XP 32bit, will only 32bit apps, and will run on both x86 based cpu's, as well as the x64 type cpu's.

Nice links, so thank you also ;)

Windows X64 has many advantages on my 25 month old system with 2048 MB of RAM, an AMD64 3800+ and a X1950XT.

1. I like UT2004 and UT3. UT2004 is patched with the 64-bit patch and plays like a charm so smooth. I don't know if UT3 is also 64-bit, but is works flawless on X64.

2. Many utilities like 7-zip comes in 64-bit and the boost is noticable. Also more complex options for maximum compression.

3. 64-bit Internet Explorer. To be honest; at these days virussus can do nothing with 64-bit code. By another words: IE64 can do nothing with 32-bit pug-ins and most spyware so not all spyware is 32-bit. (or am I wrong?)

4. The superior kernel patch from Windows Update make it most hard to get access*

5. Far more advanced DEP technologie. 'Errorsafe' malware will stuck in it.

6. Cache can grow beyond the 1 GB boundairy which for games is a must have issue.

7. More stable. The 64-bit IE never locks up and the 32-bit regulairy (2 times a week)

8. Even with 2048 MB I saw the advantages clearly

*KB932596 [2007-08-14]

Edited by Extravert

• 2 weeks later...
Are there a lot of issues with running 32bit programs on 64bit windows xp?

yes some X86 porgrams will not run on x64 but i have seen where porgrams haved updated to support x64 bit

The only apps I know of that don't like running in 64-bit Windows are apps that directly affect parts of the OS, like anti-virus software.

Your typical games and other applications will run just fine.

• 1 month later...

Not all games. NFS Most wanted wasnt able to install ... but if u have spare 32 bit machine, you can install it there and then copy it over to 64bit ...

but the genereal performance boost was noticable - mainly the disk IO rose rapidly

to use 4gb or more of ram, you need 64bit

Not entirely true, at least speaking about Windows - Windows Server versions that are 2003/2008 Enterprise or higher (or 2000 Advanced or Datacenter) can use /PAE to allow addressing of memory higher than 4GB, although usage is limited to storage of data, no code can execute above the 4GB boundary.

/PAE is for server version only.

I thought I made that clear:

Windows Server versions that are 2003/2008 Enterprise or higher (or 2000 Advanced or Datacenter) can use /PAE to allow addressing of memory higher than 4GB...

• 2 months later...