shutdown problems

snorelaxx

Hi group, sorry for this newbee queestion. I 'm running Xp on my system. Before this I was running 98se on the exact same hardware, except the hardrive( I swap to go back to 98se). When running 98se the os shuts the system down, when running XP all I get is the" ready to close Windoze" screen. THis makes me have top hold the power button x'seconds to turn off the system. I have read in another thread that I have to enable APM. The problem is I don't have this box to tick off. Where is it ? Can I repair this install ? Any other suggestions?

Bobs

No Iv'e learnt't from past experience, not to Adaptec writing soft.

I do have the regular burning soft installed ie : Nero,Diskjuggler, CloneCd, Cdrwin, etc.I don't believe its a burning soft issue.It behaved this way right from the get go.

Bobs

• 2 weeks later...

Since you didn't list your PC specs, the only thing that I can think of would be BIOS.

WindowsXP requires an ACPI BIOS.

I would check your mainboard manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS.

If you have the latest BIOS, and it still occurs then your BIOS has been blocked for installing in ACPI mode. Several BIOS’s claim to be ACPI compatible but do not meet the specifications for ACPI.