How do I download drivers off Windows Update

Marztabator

For instance, I wish to be able to install Windows Update's version/download of the Creative SB! Live/Audigy/etc drivers at later points without having to go to WU again. As in keep them on the hard disk, include them on custom unattended CDs/DVDs and all that.

As far as I know, it simply downloads the necessary drivers and nothing else. No other useless bulk such as what's included in the official download from Creative's servers, upping the file size in the process. Just nice and simple.

And as well as that I want to keep WU's Xbox 360 Controller driver files as it actually offers a newer version of the driver than what's available from Microsoft's Hardware sub-site.

I know that WU puts files in the SoftwareDistribution folder in the main Windows directory, but it seems the actual driver files only stay in a folder called "Install" for a temporary time before disappearing again.

So what can I do to grab the files I want (.sys, .cat, .inf, everything) for future use? I'd rather not use any driver-gathering tools to put installed stuff in a new cab or anything like that, mind you.

Edited by Marztabator

So what can I do to grab the files I want (.sys, .cat, .inf, everything) for future use? I'd rather not use any driver-gathering tools to put installed stuff in a new cab or anything like that, mind you.

Most of the files offered on Microsoft Update can be retrieved as offline installers by using the address http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/. You can see if you can find what you want there.