OK to use OEM COA for slipstream made with non-oem boxed CD?

scott14

Say I legally buy Windows XP Pro OEM version (Dell) with qualifying hardware. It's all legal.

Previously I had a lot of problems trying to nLite from a Dell OEM version of Windows XP.

I already have 2 other legal licenses to Windows XP Pro regular boxed (non-OEM) version, already registered with Microsoft. I used those to make nLite slipstreamed installations on 2 other rigs.

QUESTION:

On the new computer can I install the slipstreamed Windows Pro I've already made from one of the other boxed non-oem Windows XP Pro disks, then register that with Miscrosft using the COA from the Windows XP Pro OEM version (Dell)?

I'll have properly and fully paid-for licenses to all 3 Windows XP Pro licenses, but simply want to avoid using the Dell OEM CD for nLite slipstreaming.

Advice appreciated! Thank you.

Edited by scott14

I cannot be sure but, OEM software is tied to the hardware.

Anyway, as the last post has said, build it with your dell oem cd.

I have a HP brand PC that was so messed up with many scripts etc and junks inside the OEM DVD but after long hours, I've managed to make a plain old normal XP CD by nliting it.

It should get your skils up so try.

Say I copy the Dell OEM Windows XP CD to a directory to use as "source" files for nLite.

Can I just delete something from the copy in the directory to remove the Dell special stuff, before starting nLite?

If so, is there a list explaining WHAT to delete?

"QUESTION:

On the new computer can I install the slipstreamed Windows Pro I've already made from one of the other boxed non-oem Windows XP Pro disks, then register that with Miscrosft using the COA from the Windows XP Pro OEM version (Dell)?"

ANSWER:

No. Product keys are specific to each version, so OEM keys will not work with non-OEM media. :angry:

I learned this years ago while beta testing MS OS products.

Do a Google search for details on the innards of a file called SETUPP.INI and see if that might help you a bit.

Good to see you're making a grand effort to stay on the right side of the licensing fence. :thumbup

Good luck to you now and in the New Year.

"QUESTION:

On the new computer can I install the slipstreamed Windows Pro I've already made from one of the other boxed non-oem Windows XP Pro disks, then register that with Miscrosft using the COA from the Windows XP Pro OEM version (Dell)?"

ANSWER:

No. Product keys are specific to each version, so OEM keys will not work with non-OEM media. :angry:

I learned this years ago while beta testing MS OS products.

Do a Google search for details on the innards of a file called SETUPP.INI and see if that might help you a bit.

Good to see you're making a grand effort to stay on the right side of the licensing fence. :thumbup

Good luck to you now and in the New Year.

Exactly

that file determines u r license and makes base Hash for the allowed keys for a particular version(OEM, Rtl, VLK)