play windows 2000 games on windows 98se?

Lime

This game Nanny Mania require windows 98 but when I try to install it, the pop up require windows 2000 or newer. If I install linux on my windows 98se, would I be able to play play a windows 2000 game on windows 98se?

How do I use the Orca to be able to play a windows 2000 game on windows 98se? I don't think there is very much difference between windows 98se and windows 2000 that would prevent windows 2000 games from playing on windows 98se if I install it.

Edited by Lime

This game Nanny Mania require windows 98 but when I try to install it, the pop up require windows 2000 or newer. If I install linux on my windows 98se, would I be able to play play a windows 2000 game on windows 98se?

Linux is not a compatibility layer, not even a Windows-based software. You don't install in ON windows, it is an Operational System by itself. It runs several Windows-based applications though, if WINE is installed.

How do I use the Orca to be able to play a windows 2000 game on windows 98se?

Orca is only able to edit MSI files (used by some installers), and it can be used to remove (or alter) the OS check done during the install process. If the software itself is really not compatible with Windows98 (uses unsupported functions, for example), there is nothing Orca can do. In that case you could give KernelEx 0.32a a shot. It patches a few system files in order to add some of these functions.

I don't think there is very much difference between windows 98se and windows 2000 that would prevent windows 2000 games from playing on windows 98se if I install it.

Actually, Win2K supports functions Win98 does not.

Edited by alexanrs

I have download the KernelEx 0.32a days ago. Even with that, I couldn't get past the system version checker. Shockwave.com check the window version first when it open up. If it didn't check the window version, it would install.

linux have a win4lin that allow linux user to run windows xp programs. That gave me the idea that if someone develop a program for those of us with older version so that we can run windows xp programs, that include letting the program think we are using windows xp since we would be using the program in windows xp necessary to play the program.

Is it possible to buy a hardware that already have windows xp on it, and then open up my windows 98 to connect the ribbon so that the windows 98 could me the main program. And then something in the menu allow the windows 98 to switch back and forth with the windows xp anytime I want to play games download.

I didn't know that WINE could do that. Is there a program in window that can set it to report the windows version that I want it to report? I have tried editing the registry under 'Windows', which would only change the 'Registered To' in the system properties, but it would not change the 'System'. In the registery, 'Window NT' have nothing under it current version except one data, which is 'default' and 'value not set'. My computer is a compaq.