Recovery Console

RatPack

Am attempting to install the Recovery Console on my hard disk.

Command used G:\I386\WINNT32.exe /CMDCONS using Start>Run and from the Command Prompt etc. The attached window pops up every time.

The cd being used is the original genuine XP Home cd not slipstreamed with SP.2

I can only surmise that the "updated" version installed is the result of updates etc...

Is there a workaround or must I slipstream?

Thanks

post-162043-1198721828_thumb.jpg

What you need is to slipstream your source to the same version you have installed. Microsoft does this because mismatched versions can cause issues such as your password not being accepted in recovery console.

-gosh

Just a thought (haven't tried, may not work).

You should have a Service Pack folder on your HDD (somewhere) containing the I386 SP2 files in it (from an Update). Copy the I386 folder from the CD (ALL of it) to your HDD (a new folder preferably) then copy the Service Pack I386 folder (ALL of it) over top of the first overlaying older (original) files ("dirty slipstream"). Then try running WINNT32 from that folder.

If this works, it'll be faster than Slipstream and a Learning Curve constructing a hand-made CMDCONS.

@jaclaz - I read some of the topics you linked to... good stuff, but a bit complex and I won't swear to this, but this may not give the specific result this chap was looking for (C:\CMDCONS folder with the appropriata BOOT.INI entry). I may look into the links deeper; it might be nice to make some specific intructions on how to do what this person is after... Peace, bro; you ARE good!

Edited by submix8c

@jaclaz - I read some of the topics you linked to... good stuff, but a bit complex and I won't swear to this, but this may not give the specific result this chap was looking for (C:\CMDCONS folder with the appropriata BOOT.INI entry). I may look into the links deeper; it might be nice to make some specific intructions on how to do what this person is after... Peace, bro; you ARE good!

Yep, the "proper" way is to use WINNT32.EXE with a slipstreamed install, but since RatPack actually asked for a workaround.... :whistle:

...and usually workarounds and bypasses are not straight lines from A to B, they tend to go through C, D and E before finally getting to B from A.... ;)

jaclaz

Thank you guys, some very interesting reading in the links.

Just a thought (haven't tried, may not work).

You should have a Service Pack folder on your HDD (somewhere) containing the I386 SP2 files in it (from an Update). Copy the I386 folder from the CD (ALL of it) to your HDD (a new folder preferably) then copy the Service Pack I386 folder (ALL of it) over top of the first overlaying older (original) files ("dirty slipstream"). Then try running WINNT32 from that folder.

If this works, it'll be faster than Slipstream and a Learning Curve constructing a hand-made CMDCONS.

Between posting and reading your replies I have been trying to slipstream XP/SP2, all seemed to go well but resulting cd is not bootable, more work to be done there with Roxio. Submix8c's response (quoted) got me wondering about the already overlayed XP file which I was attempting to burn so ran WINNT32 from there and hit the jackpot, the Recovery Console is now an option in my Boot.ini file. Not only available but gives me the option of booting into the OS on C: or the backup OS which I had already cloned to a separate physical hard drive.

With regard to Gosh's response

What you need is to slipstream your source to the same version you have installed. Microsoft does this because mismatched versions can cause issues such as your password not being accepted in recovery console.
and with respect to the password not being accepted, I came across this Regedit some time ago, no doubt you all know about it but I'll post it for others who may encounter the problem:
On many XP installations you can't start the Recovery Console because it won't recognize your password or if you simply hit Enter should a password not have been set. This registry edit causes the Recovery Console not to ask for a password. This works for both XP Home and XP Professional.

Start | Run | Regedit

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole

Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1

Exit Registry and Reboot

Once again - thanks to all.

Glad you got it sorted...

To make your cd bootable, search around the internet for the CD boot file (win2k/xp/2k3, all the "same"). Reburn the CD using "iso/bootable cd" and point to the "xxx.bin" file you download (whatever the name may be) under "expert settings" (or something like that; I use Nero, similar to Roxio) and ensure Load Point=7c0 and Blocks To Load=4 (must be something similar in Roxio). Also look around on internet for better explanation (use "roxio" and/or "nero" as one of the keywords); probably will point you to the "boot file" as well...

Probably will be able to find same info somewhere on MSFN; I haven't looked since I already knew...

Cheers!

Thank you - booting problem resolved.

Re: Recovery Console.

My boot.ini options are:

(1) boot from C:

(2) boot from E: (slave drive) and

(3) boot to Recovery Console

all of which perform as expected when booting normally.

I have made a simple boot floppy by copying Boot.ini, NTLDR and NTDETECT.Com and it also works as expected for (1) and (2) but trying to boot to the Recovery Console halts with the error message

Windows could not start because the followiing file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows Root>\System32\hal.dll

Please re-install a copy of the above file

Hal.dll is obviously NOT missing as (1) and (2) can boot and the file is located in the System32 folder.

I've tried setting the system environment variable Windows Root=C:\Windows with no success.

Any fixes please?

...boot to the Recovery Console halts with the error message
Windows could not start because the followiing file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows Root>\System32\hal.dll

Please re-install a copy of the above file

uh, don't know if there is one. this is a boot-from-hdd, not a boot-from-cd console; might be a difference in the hal between the two... (as he shrugs shoulders...). (oh a thought... may have to do with the loader?)

as i pointed out (read previous post), you can make a slipped-bootable that can be used if you need recovery console outside of hdd-boot.

(no more help here... good luck!) PEACE!

Edited by submix8c

The usual entry to boot from Recovery Console is something like this:

C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Recovery Console" /cmdcons

where bootsect.dat is a bootsector created by the install routine (WINNT32.EXE /cmdcons).

Try copying to the ROOT of the floppy the BOOTSECT.DAT you have in your C:\CMDCONS\ directory and change the entry in boot.ini as follows:

C:\BOOTSECT.DAT="Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Or make a directory like A:\CMDCONS_F and copy

C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT

to

A:\CMDCONS_F\BOOTSECT.DAT and edit BOOT.INI entry to:

C:\CMDCONS_F\BOOTSECT.DAT="Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Explanation (supposedly) :unsure: :

It seems like NTLDR, when not using an ARCPATH, defaults to the ROOT of the drive (does not matter whether floppy or HD) where it is started, thus the entry

C:\CMDCONS_F\BOOTSECT.DAT

actually reads

A:\CMDCONS_F\BOOTSECT.DAT

which chainloads the SETUPLDR.BIN on "real" C:\ drive

jaclaz

I couldn't get either idea to perform so have more work to do there. I will also burn all relevant files to a cd to try booting to C: and E:(slave) and Recovery Console from that. Will let you know later how things went.

Thank you all for your interest and the Happiest of New Years to everyone for 2008.

RP..

I couldn't get either idea to perform so have more work to do there.

Maybe you missed some steps (or I forgot to mention one) this method has been tested as working on Qemu:

On floppy:

01/01/2008 20.26 106 boot.ini

02/12/2004 22.47 47.772 NTDETECT.COM

02/12/2004 22.47 294.512 ntldr

24/07/2007 16.20 512 SETUPLDR.bs

On HD:

02/12/2004 22.47 47.772 NTDETECT.COM

27/07/2007 15.06 <DIR> CMDCONS

02/12/2004 22.38 297.584 SETUPLDR.BIN

30/07/2007 12.06 518 winnt.sif

BOOT.INI:

[boot Loader]

Timeout=5

Default=C:\SETUPLDR.BS

[Operating Systems]

C:\SETUPLDR.BS="CMDCONS" /cmdcons

WINNT.SIF (this one works, though probably some entries are unneeded)

[data]

msdosinitiated="1"

floppyless="1"

CmdCons="1"

AutoPartition="0"

UseSignatures="yes"

InstallDir="\CMDCONS"

EulaComplete="1"

winntupgrade="no"

win9xupgrade="no"

Win32Ver="a280105"

uniqueid="C:\WINDOWS\LBO"

OriSrc="c:\CMDCONS\"

OriTyp="3"

unattendswitch=yes

[regionalsettings]

Language=00000409

LanguageGroup=1

[setupparams]

DynamicUpdatesWorkingDir=C:\WINDOWS\setupupd

[unattended]

unused=unused

[userdata]

productid=""

productkey=""

[OobeProxy]

Enable=1

Flags=1

Autodiscovery_Flag=4

I will also burn all relevant files to a cd to try booting to C: and E:(slave) and Recovery Console from that.

Wouldn't it be easier starting from what has already been done? :whistle:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...ic=2254&hl=

http://tips.vlaurie.com/2006/recovery-cons...out-an-xp-disk/

http://vlaurie.com/computers2/downloads/re..._console_cd.zip

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Wouldn't it be easier starting from what has already been done?

It sure would and I have already d/l the Rec Con cd from the vlaurie site - thank you. Now all I have to do is understand the logic behind it so that I might be able to boot into XP on the hdd's as well.

Thanks again.

• 10 months later...

What commands should I have in the WINNT.SIF if I want to skip straight to the recovery console on a multi-boot cd I've made? I've tried what's in jaclaz's above (though I wasn't able to set the path for OriSrc as the cd drive letter can change) but the best I could get was an error saying the installation files couldn't be found.

I'm afraid I'll wear a hole in my hard disk with the amount of failed isos I've built trying to get this working so if anyone can put me out of my misery that would be great.