Need Advice re: Startup Problems 98se

MikeyHunt

A bit to late maybe, but I would start to set your BIOS right.

Do you still use your Serial and parallel ports? Can you disable the MPU-401 on your soundcard (jumper) or in your driver when you start up?

4	Communications Port (COM1)
7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
10 MPU-401 Compatible

Those ones are mostly not needed. Your sound card could work well on IRQ7. Other then that, like the others told you, set the IRQs manual in the BIOS, or change the position of the PCI cards.

A bit to late maybe, but I would start to set your BIOS right.

Do you still use your Serial and parallel ports? Can you disable the MPU-401 on your soundcard (jumper) or in your driver when you start up?

0	System timer
1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
2 Programmable interrupt controller
3 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
3 Intel® 82810E Graphics Controller
4 Communications Port (COM1)
5 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
5 Intel® 82801AA SMBus Controller
5 D-Link DFE-530TX+ PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (rev.F)
5 ESS Allegro PCI Audio (WDM)
6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
8 System CMOS/real time clock
9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
10 MPU-401 Compatible
11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
11 Intel® 82801AA USB Universal Host Controller
12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
13 Numeric data processor
14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
14 Intel® 82801AA Ultra ATA Controller
15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
15 Intel® 82801AA Ultra ATA Controller

ANY SUGGESTIONS??

Have you tried the DIAG.EXE program from the D-Link driver package as i told you before? It may have an option to change the IRQ used by your NIC.

The drivers for your sound card may include a similar program or optional parameter, can't check this myself though.

And last, try what happens if you configure the LPT port to use IRQ 5, it might push some of the other devices to a different IRQ.

HTH

P.S. you may want to re-read this thread, i already told you all this :P

port 5 seems to be overcrowded (the problem) but how to change this??
Did you disable your Parallel (printer) port in the BIOS? And when you did, you still don’t get the IRQ 7 back for PCI?
P.S. you may want to re-read this thread, I already told you all this :P
Yeah, MikeyHunt is jumping over some parts ;).

port 5 seems to be overcrowded (the problem) but how to change this??
Did you disable your Parallel (printer) port in the BIOS? And when you did, you still don’t get the IRQ 7 back for PCI?
P.S. you may want to re-read this thread, I already told you all this :P
Yeah, MikeyHunt is jumping over some parts ;).

no, I didn't disable my printer port in BIOS, I will try that to see.

@RS - I guess I missed your prior sage advice. I will go back and review.

Still having sound driver/ port/printer problems. All the other 'startup problems' are gone. I'm sure it's just a few minor tweaks, but I'm not sure what to do, and I don't want to f**k things up, more than I have. :wacko:

edit1) in BIOS parallel port settings 4 choices > Compatible>EPP>ECP>Bi-Directional (default is ECP)

what (if any) change should I do?

in MULTIMEDIA I get this>> ESS Driver is disabled due to an unknown problem.

well duh

Sorry to be re-heating this topic , after such a long road traveled

...any input is still appreciated

edit 2 printer problem ..resolved reassigned port/ re-installed driver

just the pesky 'sound' problem is left :angry:

edit3) the Soundcard.. the Network card & SMBus controller ... all stay on the same port and cannot be seperated, although they can be moved (together) the BIOS gives me 3/5/11 as only options

I think that finding a way to unlink them might solve the problem(s) anyone know how to do that / guide me??

Edited by puntoMX

OK, in summary:

Try to change the IRQ using any additional programs included with the drivers for the sound and network card.

Try to move the cards to other PCI slots.

Don't bother with the BIOS setup, since it affects all these devices at once.

HTH

OK, in summary:

Try to change the IRQ using any additional programs included with the drivers for the sound and network card.

Try to move the cards to other PCI slots.

Don't bother with the BIOS setup, since it affects all these devices at once.

HTH

Hey RS, the problem is that most of the IRQs say they can't be changed.

Also , in checking every one of them, there seems to be no conflicts listed.

I am focusing on the MSGSRV32 - thats where the problem seems to stem from

apparently there is a Micro$oft patch - Q245583 but you have to 'ask' them for it,

and it's no longer available from their site

any ideas or experience with solving MSGSRV32 problems??..or am I heading in the wrong direction?

Edited by MikeyHunt

Well, don’t get me wrong but I think you could solve this with a 10 USD Sound card... I don’t know why that sound card wants to "sit" on IRQ 5 any way; last time I saw cards using that IRQ was on the ISA bus...

Hey RS, the problem is that most of the IRQs say they can't be changed.

Also , in checking every one of them, there seems to be no conflicts listed.

Use the DOS programs included with the drivers, NOT Device manager.

I am focusing on the MSGSRV32 - thats where the problem seems to stem from

apparently there is a Micro$oft patch - Q245583 but you have to 'ask' them for it,

and it's no longer available from their site

any ideas or experience with solving MSGSRV32 problems??..or am I heading in the wrong direction?

MSGSRV32 problems ?! When did that started, lol ?

Probably problem with some device (ESS sound ?)

Tell me, which devices are installed as PCI cards (not built-in on the mobo)? Do you have free PCI slots currently?

Well, don’t get me wrong but I think you could solve this with a 10 USD Sound card... I don’t know why that sound card wants to "sit" on IRQ 5 any way; last time I saw cards using that IRQ was on the ISA bus..

I doubt it that the sound device itself requests this IRQ, i think it's the BIOS or the chipset forcing it to use IRQ5.

My system does it too, i've a TV tuner, onboard USB and the IEEE1394 part of my Audigy 2 sound all on IRQ5 (at least the sound subsystem is on IRQ3),this with the COM ports disabled. If i enable the serial ports, the whole group moves to another IRQ.

HTH

Thanks Punto for your input - that may be the way to go!

Rainy Shadow - mentioned the MsgSrv32 problem about 1/2 way through this mess of a post.

I also mentioned it to submix who noted it.

He had me use the registry delete /refind method (Tthiy's trick)

When I did that on the first re-boot , it MSG.. appeared (again) near the end - I closed and rebooted..it ..finished and returned to it's 'normal' state with everything, but the sound working.

I don't know hardly anything about DOS - so I don't know where to find the drivers

and how to change them - sorry :lol:

What info can I post (in a codebox) so you can view the PCI slots and if there is expansion. ??

tbc..

edit1- the default BIOs settings for PCIs are

VGA -IRQ3

USB -IRQ11

SMBus -IRQ5

Audio device -IRQ5

Ethernet controller-IRQ5

I think I posted this before

There doesn't appear to be any additional slots

I posted the IRQ's from System Information in a codebox above

thanks

Edited by MikeyHunt

the default BIOs settings for PCIs are -

VGA -IRQ3

USB -IRQ11

SMBus -IRQ5

Audio device -IRQ5

Ethernet controller-IRQ5

... just noticed something... from HP Compaq 7585 Specifications -
• Integrated 2X AGP 3D Graphics
Unless I'm mistaken, you do not need an IRQ for PCI VGA; this is for when you use "dual monitors" or use a PCI Graphics card instead of the built-in AGP. Setting the IRQ for that item to "none/disabled" will free that IRQ=3.

I have an older PC that has an AGP (board-in-a-slot) and the BIOS has a selection under the "PNP/PCI Configuration" Heading for "Assign IRQ for VGA = Disabled" (can be enabled, but not needed, so no IRQ assigned). It's an Award BIOS; yours is Phoenix/AMI, so it will be in a different place...

Anyone else got a thought on that? Or correct me if I'm wrong?

It seems to me that selecting "Use Default Settings" instead of "Setup" or "Optimized" in the bios may not be the way to go...

1 - Disable that item in the BIOS

2 - Set/Enable "Reset Configuration Data"

3 - Save Bios Settings/Exit

4 - Reboot

5 - Uninstall (In Device Mangler) the ESS and the D-Link (do not reboot), then exit the Device Mangler

6 - Immediately go to Add New Hardware Wizard...

JEEZ you have a mangled BIOS selection screen as well... Which Heading do you see the setting under anyhow??? Under "Advanced"?

aye aye capt'n You are post lucky #100

I'll let you know..tbc

edit1 - ok ...It doesn't give me the option in BIOS to disable, only change port (3/5/11)

However I think you might be on to something..I didn't mention that I changed my monitor about a month ago. My old Compaq 17" went bye bye ( tried it in a different computer 0) so I an using another 17" MGC monitor. H770 (generic)

Do you think it could have a bearing on the problem? I never realized that it might.

suggest how to disable? i think go into device mangler :lol: and disable in this profile VGA and do what you suggested?

is that the way? advise - Mikey

edit2-tried it..nothing

Edited by MikeyHunt

Thanks Punto for your input - that may be the way to go!

Rainy Shadow - mentioned the MsgSrv32 problem about 1/2 way through this mess of a post.

I also mentioned it to submix who noted it.

He had me use the registry delete /refind method (Tthiy's trick)

When I did that on the first re-boot , it MSG.. appeared (again) near the end - I closed and rebooted..it ..finished and returned to it's 'normal' state with everything, but the sound working.

I don't know hardly anything about DOS - so I don't know where to find the drivers

and how to change them - sorry :lol:

What info can I post (in a codebox) so you can view the PCI slots and if there is expansion. ??

tbc..

edit1- the default BIOs settings for PCIs are

VGA -IRQ3

USB -IRQ11

SMBus -IRQ5

Audio device -IRQ5

Ethernet controller-IRQ5

I think I posted this before

There doesn't appear to be any additional slots

I posted the IRQ's from System Information in a codebox above

thanks

About PCI slots... you have to open your PC and look inside (some programs might show it, but that's never reliable)

VGA - most video cards need an IRQ in order to work optimal/properly. Same with USB. But try to set the VGA to IRQ 10 in BIOS, or if not possible, exchange the VGA and USB IRQs. I usually see VGA cards on IRQ 10 or 11, so i guess it's somewhat semi-standard. Besides, it's better to share USB IRQ with COM ports which are usually sitting on IRQ 3&4 (both USB and COM are serial I/O interfaces) instead of with other kind of hardware.

DOS config programs - if you've downloaded the NIC drivers from http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?...p;sec=0#drivers (i posted this link before, have you missed it ?), then you should have the DOS program for the card (i think it was named DIAG.EXE). Write down the path to it, then reboot in DOS mode (restart, F8 before loading Win), type "CD \dlink\dos" (replace "\dlink'dos" with the path you wrote), type DIAG to start the program. As i can't test the program without the proper hardware, i can't tell you what exactly to do there. See what happens when you run it, and if you can't find an IRQ/config related option in there, post the parameters/menu options available within the program.

Note that usually you need to power-cycle the PC if you change the settings with such programs.

I can't tell you if there is a similar program for the sound card in it's driver package (i don't even know its exact model... you've never posted that Aida info i requested before, heh). Just examine the programs and docs within the package for any clue.

MSGSRV32 behavior highly depends on the hardware & drivers installed. If you've forced it to close while installing a driver, the instalation might not be complete.

P.S. do you play DOS games? Check if sound works in any of these under pure DOS (not in a DOS window)

HTH

Monitor irrelevant. External to the computer (a "peripheral" device, like the physical mouse).

DIAG.EXE documentation (help/how-to-use text inside package) does not indicate anything other than "diagnostic tests"; nothing on "changing IRQ's", etc (I have already downloaded and checked). Could potentially "unpack" the package, reboot to Command Prompt (strict DOS) and run it (the only way you will get to, since it's a DOS-only program) to see if it actually does anything else wonderful after the NIC is detected.

Mikey has Integrated AGP, not a PCI Add-In VGA card (read above...). Most "newer" (read "not old") pc's having Integrated AGP (or even AGP slot for and using AGP Video Card) have an option to add a PCI (read "not AGP") VGA/SVGA card to use as a second, or "alternate" Video interface (as in, not a peripheral device, but a necessary component requiring at least one-of, just like the memory, CPU, and exception-to-rule-keyboard-unless-disabled-for-dumb-server).

Go to HP.COM and search on "Presario 7585" and you'll see what I mean (I mean the specs)... His only add-in appears to be the NIC... Heck, he could yank the Modem (if it's not part of the "sound", POS "combo" cards) but that may not even help.

Butthead HP does NOT provide a PDF User's Guide, just krappy "basic" on-line info... OH, if we could ONLY see how that stinking BIOS works!!!! And... I did notre that the PC has the "latest bios", so one might wonder how it got updated, seeing as how Mikey never did it (no floppy at the time and never used it, remember?). Only other way would be to use HP's stupid "update on-line" crap (a disaster in the making)!

BTW, sound under DOS will NOT work; the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS entries were removed per agreed-upon suggestion. The whole problem must lie in the installation of the Sound Drivers (IRQ "hard-wired" in the BIOS) and the (possible) conflicts with the NIC.

Edited by submix8c

Hey RS..where to start... no I don't play DOS games or any other for that matter.

I didn't 'force' the MSG.. to close , it forced ME to close and stop the drivers installation. as i said , upon reboot it seemed to complete to 'normal ' (meaning everything working , except the sound)

I have extra PCI slots in my computer .

can only choose 3/5/11/ in BIOS

I have the D-link CD that came with the network card.

The rest of what you are saying is over my head. Honestly, I'm just not smart enough yet to grasp what you are trying to tell me what to do, and i don't want to f**k things up.

I will post the aida32 report here - in 2 zip files - oops can't seem to do that..back to edit it in in a few

Edited by MikeyHunt