Office Update MSP file with same name

kodyleonard

I'm extracting a bunch of the Microsoft Office 2003 update exe files, but some of the .msp files I have extracted already exist in other updates. Are these just the same patch included in multiple packages or are these completely different patches that Microsoft chose to name the same name? I just don't want to exclude any updates by automatically overwriting msp files with the same.

Examples:

olkintlff.msp

Excel.msp

This is probably a stupid question, but I just want to make sure I understand.

Edited by kodyleonard

Okay, here's another question:

If I were to use the MSP files in the folder c:\windows\installer on my machine, could I use those to apply patches on another machine? The msp files are converted to a shortname format, so I have to look under the summary to verify what it applies to, but I'm hoping this will be a shortcut in deploying updates without the use of microsoft update's website.

Thanks for your response.

??? thought you already downloaded them ???

just extract the MSP's, using the most recently dated one of the same name, ignoring the older ones...

Look in the Slipstream Office forum/topics for how-to's (slipstream or just apply direct from the downloaded EXE files)...

Sorry for not being clear. Yes, I downloaded the .exe files using Windows Updates Downloader. However, the lists seem to be outdated, so I was hoping I could use the msp files in c:\windows\installer to apply patches (acquired through Windows Update site) to other systems. I've done some testing and when a patch failes, OHotfix tends to stop at that installation.

I'll keep looking. Thanks for your help.