Vlite 1.1RC ..... how to access the " - extreme " items ?

benifin

Hi nuhi

Awesome of you yo do this for us for the holiday break !!!!!!

One quick question please ...... how do I access / enable / expose the " extreme " items [of which WinSXS] is currenlty the only available option ?

Many thanks again,

Ben

Cool ... thanks all for the instructions.

A quick question please....

..... I understand that if I "remove" WinSXS the size of the produced .ISO wont change by much at all .... BUT ..... I assume that even though the .ISO file size wont change by much, the resulting installed Vlite'd installation will be close to 1 gig smaller because the WinSXS Directory [which in my case is ~ 1gig in size ] wont be installed ?

Is my logic / expectation correct ?

Thanks,

Ben

It is. But there is one catch. When you integrate hotfixes vLite detects which parts of winsxs are needed for it not to fail and it protects them. So your winsxs might go from 1GB to 300 or 400MB, depending on the integrations.

In 64bit where all that is double, especially if SP1 installed, the difference is much bigger.

Also more you remove the lesser sxs becomes so in time it will be totally unnecessary to clean it, too much problems for little gain. I don't mind stuff just staying there if they are not running. Unless it's the x64sp1 where that folder is too big. Or you buy a new expensive small SSD hard drive.

Yeah but Nuhi there are a few advantages. :P

1 - Your install time is literally cut in half.

2 - It saves a lot of space (my WINDOWS folder is only about 1.7GB)

3 - Despite what you say about it not saving much on the ISO it did for me - my ISO went from about 755Mb down to 641Mb, its the difference between being able to fit it on a 700Mb CD or not!

But like you say its a dangerous thing to remove because for a start, you cannot update Windows at all after this component is removed, it throws an error code 80070002

But Nuhi - are you removing a lot more than just hotfix backups? I just wonder if theres any way to "refine" this so you would lose all the excess junk from winsxs but keeping the ability to install hotfixes from Windows Update?

I hate that winsxs folder. :( I am surprised you have even put something in vLite to deal with it. :D

Still, to be honest, I never even do update Windows because I re-install it so often, its a very useful feature for me since I am after the fastest install, smallest footprint which for me, is more important than whether or not I can update Windows. But thats just my personal preference.

Yes that winsxs description is old when Hotfix and SP1 backups weren't taken into account so the image can get smaller.

It removes all, except hotfixes and backups, heh totally inverse from what you would like. It will probably be done. SP1 double files for sure, and that won't break anything (not that we will need that option once MS releases SP1 ISO), but hotfixes that's another question, we'll see.