Fatsec Security Driver (2004) project

It's pretty buggy but this has some potential. Lots of blue screens. Permissions applied to a drive or folder seem to extend to all subfolders. Managed to make the entire "C" drive read only by mistake. Fortunately, it's easy to kill. Haven't got the configuration file figured out yet.

I downloaded it. what's the way to install it?

I'm not certain that this is the right way to install it, but it seems to be working on mine. I created a folder on my "C" drive named Fatsec and unzipped the file into it. I copied "fatsec.vxd" to the system folder. The shortcut in C:\fatsec\SecMgr\Debug needs to be edited to the location of secmgr.exe and needs to include the location of security.ini. Clicking on secmgr.exe will show the syntax.

Rick

Edited by herbalist

This needs a lot of work to get it usable. Unloading and re-enabling the driver usually results in a BSOD. On more than one occasion, a crash corrupted security.ini.

The read and write permissions seem to behave pretty well. I couldn't access anything in folders with "read" unchecked. With "write" disabled, I couldn't add, delete, or rename files or shortcuts.

Execution permission works very erratically if at all, and not always on the correct folder. At times, it didn't seem to take effect until the system is rebooted. As a test, I gave the desktop and command folders "read" and "write" permission but unchecked "execute" for both. All other folders had execute permission. Even though the "C" drive and all of the folders in "program files" had "execute" permission, I couldn't launch SeaMonkey. The shortcut to the copy of command.com that's located in the command folder worked part of the time, but everything else in the command folder launched normally, as did executables on my desktop. All of those should have been blocked.

If I'm reading the page at SourceForge correctly, this project hasn't been developed in over 3 years. I'm not a coder, so I have no hope of fixing these problems. Maybe someone here can.

Rick