x64 ultimate - How small can the image size get?

Maka84

Its been a while since i tried vlite the last time, i beleive it was the first beta version and i couldent get the image smaller than 1GB. So, im wondering if the lastest version has improved much since then? and what size i can expect with all the components removed?

Thanks.

Well, becouse, i cant be bothered to download and install the program, get the various hotfixes, integrate and do alot of work only to find out that it wont fit on a cd-r. Its easier to ask and hope that there are some people here who are more knowledgeable than me when it comes to vlite. :)

Thank you, but is it possible to get it even smaller by other means? perhaps by removing sxs? and if so, how would i go about doing it?

I will integrate all the hotfixes with vlite and leave it at that.. i will not be updating the os itself once its been installed.

With sxs removed (-extreme switch to show it), the difference is not big, min ISO 730MB (because sxs is mainly duplicate files, already written only once in the image).

Why bother with CDR anyway?

Either use DVDRW or USB stick, there is a guide how to use USB.

Properties on vLite shortcut and make it look something like this:

"C:\Program Files\vLite\vLite.exe" -extreme

But I don't recommend it. Read the descriptions for the issues I know about when removing Component Cache. And all that said I do remove it.

Properties on vLite shortcut and make it look something like this:

"C:\Program Files\vLite\vLite.exe" -extreme

But I don't recommend it. Read the descriptions for the issues I know about when removing Component Cache. And all that said I do remove it.

ok i have tried this but can u tell me the 7 hidden options i have. how to see them?

Wow this early into vLite's development and vista is already shrinking to 750 MB?! Thats impressive for sure! I have my XP 64 bit with SP2 integrated and tweaked to the way I want to which is nowhere near as restrictive as I am sure a lot of members have...my image is 234 mb. What does Vista have to be taking up 750 mb?! Without an SP even!

Wow this early into vLite's development and vista is already shrinking to 750 MB?!

No, more like 600Mb or even less if you removed everything. :P

Unless you're talking about x64 only?

What does Vista have to be taking up 750 mb?! Without an SP even!

Good question. Vista is beyond bloated, it is ridiculous. Thankfully, Nuhi is changing that.

Do not forget that Vista ISO contains Boot.wim, which is WinPE for setup and it just gets loaded during install.

When you measure Vista size on the media just look at the install.wim file to be more fair in comparison to XP.

But still it's too big for my taste, after install I still find myself to disable services, and that is simply silly. One step at the time, last two versions have a lot of new removals, it needs to settle.