Old msobshel.htm problem with 1.7.2 and beta

HachiRoku

Hi there.

I just found problems happening with HFSLIP-1.7.3beta_71224a AND HFSLIP-1.7.2

It seems that's actually an old error.

errorlc1.th.png

As you see in the screenshot, OOBE fails to run because it can't "show" the msobshel.htm file.

Searched the forum and found that this error it's pretty old. It also breaks the hability to open ANY html file (ie. can't open any website!!!). Also some system tools (like the windows services manager, or the user accounts admin) are broken!

This hfslip run was made in a clean XP SP2 source an tested (with NO modifications) on VirtualBox v1.5.2. Attached the log file and the list of new files.

I really need help, cause I dunno what to do to fix the problem.

I tested without the KB904942 and had the same result.

Now i'm gonna test without KB904942 and IE7 updates (only the installer)

Please help!

Log_and_new_files.rar

Edited by HachiRoku

I would first remove the space from your HFSLIP working folder (change it into "HFSLIP_XP" or something), remove the SOURCE folder and create it again.

If that doesn't help, try again but on Windows XP (you are now running HFSLIP on Windows Server 2003 according to your log file).

I never experienced this problem myself and you're the first to report it in the HFSLIP forum...

@Tomcat76

OK, gonna change the folder name and test again.

Also tested without both IE7 hotfixes KB938127 and KB942615, nor the KB904942-v2. The result was the same. Error keeps popping out.

Currently can't test on a XP machine, my other PCs were Server 2003 or linux; I need XP for them now, but with no success in hfsliping, can't do nothing... Also, I made alot of other HFSLIP runs in my Server 2003 machine with no problemas at all (HFSLIPped from Server 2003: Server 2003, XP and Windows 2000). I really think it's a hotfix problem

Searching for the problem, I got info about certain hotfixes that cause it.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...mp;#entry472756

http://www.msfn.org/board/msobshelhtm-problem-t24646.html

http://www.msfn.org/board/OOBE-msobshelhtm-t69469.html

For that I tested HFSLIP without the named hotfixes, and still the same problems.

Greetz

Edited by HachiRoku

I just get that error today with 1.7.2.

I guess that was because of an update. I downloaded afew unpublic updates yesterday and splitstreamed them.

1.7.2 with older XP's no not have that problem. I will try to eliminate msob update

Edited by eryen

OK, I tested again with the folder named HFSLIP_XP and without any new updates, but still the same error!!!

I really dunno what to do.

Removed almost everything that could cause that, and still no success!

Please help...

UPDATE:

I made a run integrating almost everything with nLite (except the HFSLIP-only parts) and it runs OK.

It has every update applied except the KB904942-v2. It gives no errors.

I really dunno what might be. Tested HFSLIP with all the updates except that one, but still no success!

I'm completly clueless...

Edited by HachiRoku

From the info on the forum I got to that same file (mshtml.dll)

According to RyanVM forum the problem solves if you register that file manually after install (of course, OOBE doesn't works) with "regsvr32 mshtml.dll". Tested that, but an error pops out about the register failing.

I'm completly lost.

@Tomcat76

OK, gonna test again adding KB894871 to the mix...

I've tested alot of combinations already, none of them worked.

The "mshtml.dll" file is completly missing. It's supposed to be on \system32, but it isn't.

It's really weird, because both MSHTML.DL_ and MSHTML2.DL_ exist in the \SOURCESS\I386 folder, but they aren't installed at all...

Greetz, gonna test now.

UPDATE:

Tested with OOBE fix => KB894871 and still no success...

Now I'm gonna test not slipstreaming IE7, but rather installing it at T-13.

Edited by HachiRoku

Well, I finished testing...

Made the exact same HFSLIP run (i.e. same hotfixes, cabs, files, etc.), but with IE7 installed from SVCPACK at T-13.

It all works flawlessly!!!

So whatever the problem is, it has to be something related to the IE7 slipstream process.

Really dunno what might be, but if IE7 is slipstreamed, the mshtml.dll file gets lost.

With IE7 installed at T-13, everything goes right.

Greetz

It seems that the bug appears in changes in HFslip from v.1.7.0 to 1.7.2; I've compared in test VirtualPC's two distributives slipstreamed from the same files set, and the result is: no troubles with processed by v.1.7.0 and in the second variant (by 1.7.2) there were the same problems as posted here - MSHTML.dll is really missing in System32 folder, but there is MSHTML.dll.mui in System32/en-us; so I tried to rename this .dll.mui in .dll and copy it to System32 folder, then to register "regsvr32 mshtml.dll" - the Windows answer was "mshtml.dll was loaded, but the DLLRegisterServer entry point was not found. This file can not be registered".

As the base Windows source used XP Professional SP2 (Enu) Corporate Edition 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp2_rtm.040803-2158), slipstreamed files - IE7, WMP11, KB938127, KB942615, KB943460 and KB898543-v3 (can't test with KB894871 because don't have it :rolleyes: ).

Edited by ivp