My Computer renamed to "65"

gypsysnail

Hi, Im wondering if you could give some idea of something that I believe is related to a virus. Awhile back, in the Start menu list, the "My Computer" was replaced with "65" next to its icon - I use Win XP, and the cursor sometimes moves on its own, and I am unsure of what virus caused this and how to fix it. If you know, maybe you can help me please? I remember one thing, I accidently clicked on a link on msn when I tried to close down the rubbish message from someone which I believe didnt know they sent a virus - the link was called "they have blocked you" and took me to a site that detected if someone had deleted and blocked me. I knew I was doomed after I clicked that link as I never wanted to in the first place but my stupid hand went over and clicked on it instead of the X button. I immediately went to system restore to an earlier restore checkpoint of 2 days earlier than that day, to try and get rid of the virus, but doesnt seem it did much good and I didnt notice the "65" until weeks later for some strange reason! If you have any ideas of how I can fix the problem, that would be great thanks :)

What???? What are you guys talking about???? I dont understand a single thing of your replies and if those are joke replies then I'm NOT happy! I asked for help. Whats this housecall stuff and 6.5, whats your point with that please??? I have used housecall in the past a few years ago, not used it recently so dont know what your saying but your replies sound sarcastic!!!!!! And yeah I have an antivirus WITH a firewall so that bloody virus should have not come thru in the first place thats why I suspect its from msn! Please dont ask me again about an antivirus thing ok! Just help give me an idea of whats going on with the my computer turning into 65! And yeah sorry if I sound angry but you can't blame me for being furious that I have a virus that I cant get rid of and getting strange replies here!!!! :thumbdown

Edited by gypsysnail

First off, welcome to THE forum! :hello: Second, in order for us to help you, we need more info from you, such as what antivirus are you using and what firewall, if you scanned your pc with the anti-virus, etc. A good place to start you off is downloading Spybot Search&Destroy, install it and run it. After that download HiJackThis, run it and attach the log it creates to a future post in this thread. Good luck!

Thanks for your warm welcome. Yes the antivirus I use is an updated version of Nortons 2005 and works quite well and I have nortons firewall too which prevents everything getting in and popups are blocked on high max settings. Thanks for the advice on spybot search and destroy etc i will use those. Thanks again for the help much appreciated for the intelligent response! :);)

[...]Yes the antivirus I use is an updated version of Nortons 2005 and works quite well and I have nortons firewall too which prevents everything getting in and popups are blocked on high max settings.[...]

First thing to do, gypsysnail: remove Norton and use either Avast or AVG, both free. Norton is a resource hog and not very good at protecting your pc. Once you uninstall it, you'll see what I mean :sneaky:

You can change the wording currently `65` back to `My Computer` or anything else you require by implementing simple registry changes. The methods for which are well documented both here and through search engine results.

Although the Norton product is renowned for its bloatedness and system resource hogging, changing it to something else will not solve your problem.