vLite 1.1 RC - Bit Bender

nuhi

bottled leaf, KB929777, if you needed it at all, even if integrated doesn't help during installation. This fix, or lets say hack, helps in a way so that you don't have to unplug the extra memory stick to be able to install. Should work on both 32 and 64bit but only 32bit was confirmed.

And yeah it is weird that 64bit can have the same issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777

On the 1st day of Christmass, I tested vLite 1.1 RC...

1 clearification in compatibility,

1 minor bug,

and a happy u-u-serrrrrr

When I select Windows Color System for removal and keep Windows Image Viewer, then that last 1 indeed does not work. Furthermore after I run vLite again and confirm the warning to uncheck Windows Color System, then I notice that Aero Glass is unchecked in Compatibility and instead "Fax, Printer,..." is checked.

The tool vsp1cln_x64.exe does work wonders in cleaning up the redundant files left after installing SP1 in Sysrep mode. I am not sure if a direct link is allowed, but when I use google then the tool is shown in the first link.

Should work on both 32 and 64bit but only 32bit was confirmed. And yeah it is weird that 64bit can have the same issue.

The patch itself works, the bug is caused by WOW (Windows on Windows). I've just found out that this was one of the main problems for delaying Server 2008 RTM. If you were one of those unlucky people beta testing Hyper-V that were getting something else than INTERRUPT_NOT_SUPPORTED BSoD, Microsoft re-released RC1 with Hyper-V with this patch slipstreamed. WOW and Hyper-V are a very bad combination, running both a large 32-bit app and a hypervised OS cause memory leaks and instability.

oh ,that is great,

but i got another problem

the JP language pack cant be integrate,

although i found the JP.cab file

after the integration,

the installation wont work

could you tell me why ,NUhi?

i mean ,it said could not fine the file ,or corrupted

i dont konw wheather it is my fault or with Vlite

but somehow ,it is great work,

thanks Nuhi

Edited by shilyro

bottled leaf, KB929777, if you needed it at all, even if integrated doesn't help during installation. This fix, or lets say hack, helps in a way so that you don't have to unplug the extra memory stick to be able to install. Should work on both 32 and 64bit but only 32bit was confirmed.

And yeah it is weird that 64bit can have the same issue.

thanks nuhi. got new comp for xmas (more liek built new comp :) ). running the full 4GB on 64 bit.

Hi, Dino,

Used the new version and it is great!

Some notes for Your consideration:

1. If uac and its elements are not removed, disable uac tweak does not work.

2. Pls make a note in hardware support that the first element for removal in this section (dynamic volume manager or so, sorry, I do not remember exactly) is a must have element for complete pc restore. Took me some time to figure out as MANY new elements for removal were added in this new version.

That's all to report for now,

Thank You for this wonderful Christmas gift!

Alex

Hi, Dino,

Tried extreme vlite and it is just great! No mistakes ever!

What I could remove to loose dreamscene? Or with extreme it can not work.

Thank You in advance!

Alex

Edited by Alex

shilyro, what is the error reported, did it integrate without prompting error and did you select Japanese in the Unattended-Regional-GUI ?

Alex,

1. ok, just be sure not to select UAC even if Component Page isn't selected

2. ok

I don't see dreamscene integrated in your preset, just Hold'Em. Anyway only thing that Dreamscene needs is the WMP Codecs...and of course it can be due to the Extreme removal, let me know if you confirm.

Hi, Dino,

Dreamscene works fine even after extreme vlitening. I just forgot to integrate it as I was making extremely lite vista.

winsxs size with office 2007 installed is only 156mb.

Just great, let's hope system will be as stable as lite it is.

All the best in the New Year!!!

Alex

Even though in vLite it says removing the "Component Cache (winsxs)" does not save much on the ISO, it did save a lot on my ISO like 100Mb or even more.

Nuhi, will it be possible to remove everything from winsxs thats currently being removed in vLite but keeping the ability to use Windows Update? I am no expert but my guess is that Windows Update does not require much, like one file it looks for and isn't there? I might even try to find out which file(s) it needs to work again without having to put all that junk back into winsxs.

After using Filemon to determine which winsxs files and/or folders Windows Update cannot find, it keeps coming up with these three folders from winsxs:

x86_microsoft-windows-servicingstack_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_07289f4cca5f6990

x86_microsoft-windows-servicingstack-mof_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_3c64bd972e1fd7b5

x86_microsoft-windows-servicingstack-msg_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_3c68a7f72e1c56b2

These folders only amount to 12.1Mb. By putting these folders into my vLite'd installation (from a previously vLited installation just not "extreme") I can visit Windows Update without getting that error BUT it is stuck on "Checking for updates"

Its getting there though :whistle:

Nuhi, if I can fully fix this I will of course report back with exactly the files and folders needed ;)

BTW when I RAR those 12.1Mb folders thay only amount to about 1.5Mb so it wouldn't add much to the ISO to put these back in but more than this is needed, how much more I am still working out...

Edited by LeveL

I can visit Windows Update without getting that error BUT it is stuck on "Checking for updates"

Back to the drawing board :(

I mounted my image, added those three folders from winsxs and re-installed in VMware.

Now the WU doesn't hang but it gives that same error again.

Shows over. Nothing to see here. Move right along.

Pah! I am still gonna remove it. :sneaky:

Sorry ,nuhi, i havent been here for some time,

it was during the installation;

it said the selected language could not be installed

so the installation couldnt complete

right now i am doing it again,

but for gods sake ,i forget to integrate the Display driver, another Five minutes wasted

if any thing goes wrong with this experiment,

i will report it to you

i should have attached the config file to you ,sorry,

hope everything goes well

and a happy new year to you

nuhi,what a GREAT JOB you have done!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbup