iTunes won't start on nlited XP Pro SP2

daroga

Hey all,

I just installed iTunes on my freshly nlited XP Pro SP2 + current updates. When I start the program, the hourglass comes up for a bit, then nothing. The harddrive cranks, the iTunes process is running, but then nothing.

Both Wmasf.dll & Wmidx.dll are present in the system32 folder (per the thoughts in this thread: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...&hl=itunes).

I'll be attaching my nlite config shortly. Can anyone see anything I shouldn't have taken out? I left most of the media stuff in tact. Media Player 9 starts just fine.

Thanks much!

EDIT: Config attached.

Desktop.ini

Edited by daroga

ok, just found in hunting that iTunes requires the SmartCard service, which I've removed.

I don't suppose there's anyway to get that back short of making an new ISO and reinstalling eh?

For those running into a similar problem, you can install iTunes 7.4.3 here: http://www.oldapps.com/download.php?oldapp...nesSetup743.exe

I'm gonna do that as an interim fix until I've got time to redo the machine again (ugh), or if someone's got an idea on how to get that service back in (not holding me breath).

There was a time (long ago, now) that I also removed LOTS of services and stuff when I made an nLite install DVD. But I discovered that it was very difficult to put something back after the fact, so I adopted a new approach.

Simply turn OFF the services you think you don't want, and if there's a problem during testing/deployment, simply alter the settings of the service and go on about your business.

Because I incorporate Bashrat's way-cool Driver Packs in my installation media, I long ago surpassed what could fit on a "lowly" CD and moved up to bigger and better DVD+R discs. This move made the removal of lotsa stuff from XP unnecessary (there was NO WAY I could get it all on CD-R), so I began merely turning stuff off (I do, however remove all foreign keyboards, 'cuz I'll never use 'em) and I get a working install every time.

nLite has revolutionized the way we install and configure Windows 2000, XP, and Server 2003, and has singlehandedly extended the lifespan of this family by many, many years. Thank you, Nuhi. You are a godsend to the slaving masses of IT and techie personnel the world over.

Oh yes. Merry Christmas to all, and happy holidays, too. :thumbup

Best wishes from a long-time nLite user in Atlanta, GA. USA. :hello:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi!

Had same problem but I FIXED!!!

So, that's what you need: search for these files: sccbase.dll sccsccp.dll slbcsp.dll slbiop.dll (end, of course, wmasf.dll & wmidx.dll). Copy them ino windows\system32!

Run iTunes & enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Thx for the info. If you know this before making the ISO you can use Components - Advanced - Keep box and enter the files there for the keeping.

I will see about adding some option to save those, components are Smartcards and WMP.

• 3 weeks later...

Hrmm, this is surely a curious one. I have the same problem, and after scouring the internet and not being able to find any useful information, I'm back here since I suspected it was an nLite-induced problem. I don't usually nLiten my installations as hard as I did for my living room computer, which I was actually reformatting to try solving the iTunes problem!!

I, too, removed the Smartcards support. I restored the files, and iTunes still didn't work. I then tried registering them (using the right-click-menu-tweak "register" option). Two files registered, two others didn't - scarddlg.dll didn't, because it wasn't registerable, but slbcsp.dll "failed" to initialize. It "initialized" properly on my desktop, which it came from, but on the new computer it "failed".

I'm in the process of figuring out just what registering slbcsp.dll does... hopefully solving that problem will resolve the iTunes problem!

edit: Attached INI file.

LAST_SESSION.INI

Edited by Volatus

Ah-HAH! After cross-referencing the procmon.exe output of monitoring regsvr32 on both my desktop and the new living room PC with the problem (swallow THAT sentence, why don't ye?), I figured it out! SUCCESS!

You were missing a file! You also need to copy slbrccsp.dll to the computer! Registration of slbcsp.dll was failing because it couldn't find that file but it didn't tell anyone, iTunes was missing the support of that chain of files, and wouldn't tell anyone either. Don't you love having to tie a debugger to these things to figure out what pieces they're missing?

Finally, the last known instance of iTunes failing to start is squished. Finally, I can run the latest version of iTunes! I was stuck on 7.4 (I believe) before this, I guess because it didn't rely on that file. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, Iv found this post via google after having the same problem, Thanks for the dll files advice it has fixed my itunes.

To make it easier for other people I have compiled a quick installer, http://download.file2you.net/nfwe86pdrmcz/...%20FIX.exe.html

hey the installer is no longer available, can you host it again or send it to me? i am running windows xp with sp2 and i just purchased a new iphone but for the life of me i can't get itunes to start

Hi!

Had same problem but I FIXED!!!

So, that's what you need: search for these files: sccbase.dll sccsccp.dll slbcsp.dll slbiop.dll (end, of course, wmasf.dll & wmidx.dll). Copy them ino windows\system32!

Run iTunes & enjoy!

i am a complete computer noob, where do i search for these files and how do i copy them into windows\system 32?

thanks in advance

in_flight, you can find them on your full Windows CD.

Extract them with Winrar or something if the file ends with '_'.

Also maybe some are in the i386\drivers.cab, or sp1/2.cab

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

hey everyone i just signed up just for this post i was having so much trouble getting itunes to start up after installing xp onto my vista computer (cause i hate vista) and it just would not load up at all but after getting all the dll's you all suggested its finally working so i just wanted to say thank you and it was greatly appreciated ill be sure to come here more often if i end up with more problems thanks again