my USB port doesnt recognize the attached device!

Delphianrex

hi all people out there :hello:

when I connect some USB devices to my USB ports, it

says that "USB device is not recognized".

but some times they work without any problem.

this problem has been arised for my printer and ram reader.

how can i fix this problem???

thanks in advanced :rolleyes:

i`m using WinXP Pro.

it doesnt occur continuesly.sometimes when this happends after afew hours without doing anything special

it`ll be fixed by itself(i dont do anything).

in Win help i found that this occurs when the universal serial bus is not configured correctly.

hi all people out there :hello:

when I connect some USB devices to my USB ports, it

says that "USB device is not recognized".

but some times they work without any problem.

this problem has been arised for my printer and ram reader.

how can i fix this problem???

thanks in advanced :rolleyes:

A common cause is if you have a self-powered USB hub, the USB hub lost power.

Several things can cause this...

Power Supply could be underpowered for your system and not outputting correct voltages/amps.

Is the device that you are plugging in powered (has its own power adapter)? if not leans the issue more towards the first issue.

If the device DOES have its own power, if you can, test it on another system. If it works the device is not faulty, if it doesn't, replace the device.

If it Does work on another system, check the physical USB port on the failing system to check for bent connections that could be shorting out (Very common problem that I have seen, caused by forcing the USB cable in upside down).

If the USB is shorting out, try to bend the connectors to their proper positions. If unabled to, disable them in BIOS and either get a USB card, or replace the motherboard. also Try multiple USB ports on the system.

None of the above work?

Reinstall the USB Chipset driver for your motherboard with the latest driver version, as well as the drivers for the device.

If all the above still doesn't resolve the issue, and multiple devices don't work, but work on other systems that isolates the issue to your system.

You have 2 drastic options after that... reinstall windows and test... still doesn't work after drivers are installed? then it is a hardware issue and in most cases is caused by insufficient power or failing motherboard....

Hope that helps.

I had this problem, and found this can be caused by to long a USB cable (the max is 5 meters ish ). also found the quality of some cables can be an issue (so one 5 meter cable will work another one may not) , try using another USB cable and if it's long try wrapping this up, as they tend not to cause the problem if the lenght of cable is coiled up.

Q1: How long of a cable can I use to connect my device?

A1: In practice, the USB specification limits the length of a cable between full speed devices to 5 meters (a little under 16 feet 5 inches). For a low speed device the limit is 3 meters (9 feet 10 inches).

I personally don't see a need for such a long cable... and if needed it would be much easier to port the USB A/B connections to some CAT5, which has a much longer range (...just me rambling on). Wrapping up the cable would potentially limit the amount of interference the cable is getting, make sure that you don't have it running over any power cables or florescent lights.

... I guess it is a waiting game to find out if our suggestions helped.