How to make sure Vista actually shuts down?

Tripredacus

Occassionally I run into some problems at work where Vista goes into Standby instead of turning off when you select the Shut Down. To the naked eye, you can see that the computer actually turns off. All the fans stop spinning, the hard drive spins down, the power LED turns off and the monitor goes to sleep. You'd think that the computer was off for sure.

But last week I had an incident where I shut down the computer because I needed to swap the hard drive out. So I swapped it out, and hit the power button. Then the "secret loading screen" came up (the black and purple/green one) saying it was resuming from standby!

Suffice it to say Vista didn't handle coming out of sleep mode with a different hard drive in it (albeit a blank one) but we eventually finished the order.

Any idea why Windows would do this? We even manually select the Shut Down (or Turn off) option by clicking the arrow next to the standby button on the Start Menu.

If this happened only after swapping out HDD then I'm figuring that the hard disk that you swapped TO was put into Standby on the originating PC...? Unless, of course, it was a supplemental HDD as opposed to an OS boot disk.

Edited by razormoon

Occassionally I run into some problems at work where Vista goes into Standby instead of turning off when you select the Shut Down. To the naked eye, you can see that the computer actually turns off. All the fans stop spinning, the hard drive spins down, the power LED turns off and the monitor goes to sleep. You'd think that the computer was off for sure.

But last week I had an incident where I shut down the computer because I needed to swap the hard drive out. So I swapped it out, and hit the power button. Then the "secret loading screen" came up (the black and purple/green one) saying it was resuming from standby!

Suffice it to say Vista didn't handle coming out of sleep mode with a different hard drive in it (albeit a blank one) but we eventually finished the order.

Any idea why Windows would do this? We even manually select the Shut Down (or Turn off) option by clicking the arrow next to the standby button on the Start Menu.

By default that button is set to sleep and not shutdown. Here's how you can change that

Control Panel, Power Options.

Select the Plan you're using and click on Change Plan Settings. Select

Change Advanced power settings. Scroll down the list to "Power Buttons

and Lid" and click the + sign. Click the + next to Start Menu Power

Button and set the option you want.

By default that button is set to sleep and not shutdown. Here's how you can change that

Control Panel, Power Options.

Select the Plan you're using and click on Change Plan Settings. Select

Change Advanced power settings. Scroll down the list to "Power Buttons

and Lid" and click the + sign. Click the + next to Start Menu Power

Button and set the option you want.

Naw man, I know the Standby button in the start menu. On the right of it there is a little triangle and if you click that it brings up a menu. You get options like Restart, Shutdown, Standby etc. In this case I clicked Shutdown but the PC went to sleep instead. And when I push the power button (on the case) it would wake up instead of turning on because I guess it never really went off.

After swapping the hard drive to the blank one, it attempted to reload Windows from standby but it never actually got into the Desktop. It would show the Secret Boot Screen and then give an error. Its because it kept the Standby state in memory, and gave the appearance that it turned off but really didn't.