OEM licence is diff than the installed key

Chenchu

I've got a laptop of HP. ofcourse it comes with windows xp installed, w/ OEM licence.

at the button of the laptop, there is the sticker with the KEY and the microsoft approved stuff..

but when i run a XP-Key application, it detects a total diff key than the key at the button.

means that my XP was installed with a diff cd-key, than the key i've got with the laptop.

anybody knows how can it be? again, its OEM licence. Thanks.

Yes, the one you see in Windows is the Volume License. If you were to run a recovery or install the Windows OEM CD you got with your computer, you can activate Windows using the number on the case.

..or in the case with Dells, the Key is built into the OEM CD. If you try to use a Dell OEM XP CD on a computer from a different manufacturer, however, it will fail the hardware check and inform you need to activate. I'm not sure exactly how HP does it.

I've never used HP much, but I can tell you how if works for Dell:

All dell computers have a base install of some sort that they then customize as necessary to add any extra drivers or software needed. They all use the same royalty OEM key. It's not a volume license, but it's like one in that they can install it on essentially as many computers as they want. These computers will come pre-activated, using the OEMbios method. Dell includes OEMbios files on the recovery CD, so if you need to reinstall your OS, you won't need to activate it. However, this does mean that their media cannot be used with computers that do not have a Dell BIOS.

i tried to install the OS on a virtual machine [vmware] with both of the keys, it required me to activate.

but both keys worked for the installation...

also HP got a recovery directory, you also got recovery partiton and recovery cd's (2 dvds the computer recommends you to make on the first boot). the recovery partiton is available to recover the computer to the manufactory condition, with all the drivers and apps came with it as it just booted for the first time.

what i tried to do, is to make an OEM media with my licence, since i'm not really feel that secured with that my backup is over my HD's..

but i tried to install the OEM OS with both keys, both required me to activate..

HP, Dell, and all other Royalty OEMs use the same technique. To preactivate the OEMBIOS files must match your motherboard and the key must have a PID with the digits 0011903 in the middle. If the OEMBIOS files don't match or the key isn't an SLP key you will be asked to activate.

what i tried to do, is to make an OEM media with my licence, since i'm not really feel that secured with that my backup is over my HD's..

but i tried to install the OEM OS with both keys, both required me to activate..

Here's how you make the CD that will preactivate.

Building a Pre-activated CD from an existing installation

It's not a volume license

It is a volume license but it is different than the kind given to large corporations commonly known as VLK or Corporate Edition. Because the VLK moniker is already well known and the volume license that the Royalty OEM's use can only be used for System Lock Preinstall, I always called it a SLP key to prevent confusion.