Nlite, copying files from cd to empty folder.

madbull

I know why this is and it isn't the first time either. The disk is scratched.

The cd (full version - all files) is 556mb the folder (xp) on my desktop where the copied files are is only 456mb.

Now obviously i need to make a new (full) disk, but i cant because the files wont copy (well not all of them).

I do however have a clue as to what files they are:

1. when i install from an nlited disk that had its files copied from the scratched disk it (during the copying files part) asks for something like "perf" and i know at least one of these "perf" files has an .swf extension.

There is only about 4 files missing afaik but these perf ones are quite big.

What i would like to know is; is there a way that i can compare the disk and the copied files to see which files are missing.

Also is there a place i could get the missing files? eg internet.

My source files don't include any files containing "perf". I believe that you're not copying the correct files from your scratched CD-ROM. You need the files in the root of the disc, as well as the whole I386 folder. Make sure that you're not copying files from an already nLited installation disc; those "perf" files might be a part of an add-on for example and not needed. I doubt that you're copying your source files from the original source disc.

But to answer your questions, use Google to search for file comparison software, that should help you find out which files are missing. You could try to "fix" your scratched CD-ROM using toothpaste for example to slightly polish it. I cannot garantuee that it will work though. I would also suggest using Google to search for ways in regards to "fixing" scratched CD's. You can also ask Microsoft or your supplier for a replacement installation disc, or borrow one from someone.

If files are not copied because the CD is scratched, you should have an error message with the name of the file ("unable to copy ..."). Check your media with CDCHECK, it will also tell you which files are unreadable.

Ok i know exactly which files arent present (arent copied).

perf009.dat

per_intr.swf

per_nav.swf

per_seg1.swf

per_seg2.swf

per_seg1.txt

per_seg3.swf

Cheers,

PS.Another thing this is a genuine unchanged/edited copy of xp home edition.

I was wondering also where i might aqquire these missing files as i can't copy them.

As I already replied, these files are not present in a normal Windows XP source. This means that you have an altered source of some kind. Either you're using a modified source, perhaps an OEM source or an illegally downloaded copy. Anyway, you'll need to get yourself a proper source disk.

As I already replied, these files are not present in a normal Windows XP source. This means that you have an altered source of some kind. Either you're using a modified source, perhaps an OEM source or an illegally downloaded copy. Anyway, you'll need to get yourself a proper source disk.

Read the post, he says it is a genuine unchanged/edited copy of xp home edition, maybe he knows what he's talking about? What about double checking ? Different versions of XP have different files. Those files are on the XP Home cd and are about 7Meg together.

Read the post, he says it is a genuine unchanged/edited copy of xp home edition, maybe he knows what he's talking about? What about double checking ? Different versions of XP have different files. Those files are on the XP Home cd and are about 7Meg together.

Dear ponch,

Thanks for your support you are right (for future reference) "genuine unchanged/edited copy of xp home edition" period. It is not oem just your average "Retail" cd. I know that the files are associated with performance (eg logs and alerts).

Thanks,