Blocking specific updates?

anthrax79

After three weeks of pulling my hair out because VISTA sucks and locks up or reboots randomly I ran across an article about the ANI patch being junk. So I uninstalled KB925902. Now my Vista is peaceful. It has run for two days without any problems. Now the rub.... KB925902 is a "Critical" update so if I leave window update in the automatic mode it will get installed, if I put it in the manual mode, I have to be very careful to de-select this specific update.

So anyone out there have a way to block a specific update? Is there an "under the covers" look at how to control or manipulate Windows Update?

Thanks in advance for any help!

After three weeks of pulling my hair out because VISTA sucks and locks up or reboots randomly I ran across an article about the ANI patch being junk. So I uninstalled KB925902. Now my Vista is peaceful. It has run for two days without any problems. Now the rub.... KB925902 is a "Critical" update so if I leave window update in the automatic mode it will get installed, if I put it in the manual mode, I have to be very careful to de-select this specific update.

So anyone out there have a way to block a specific update? Is there an "under the covers" look at how to control or manipulate Windows Update?

You should be able to put it in manual mode and then right click on the update you don't want and select "Hide Update."

P.S. KB925902 is not the ANI patch it is a GDI vulnerability fix. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/KB925902

what version of vista ?

I don't think his question is related to which version of vista is installed as they all have the same exact updates. Excluding the separate x86/64 updates.

You should be able to put it in manual mode and then right click on the update you don't want and select "Hide Update."

P.S. KB925902 is not the ANI patch it is a GDI vulnerability fix. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/KB925902

what version of vista ?

I don't think his question is related to which version of vista is installed as they all have the same exact updates. Excluding the separate x86/64 updates.

I must have looked at that right click menu a thousand times and never noticed the "Hide Update" option!! Thanks!

And thanks for the correction on the KB... update. I had read several articles on the update and many of the mentioned the ANI bug so I made the assumption that this was the patch.

well i have not seen any problems with vista because of an update

It seems to be a very very selective problem. Many of the forum articles I read listed people with multiple machines, some worked others did not. The effects on the machines that did have problems also varied. Some would not boot, others would boot and re-boot over and over, and finally others were like mine, just locking up randomly.

well i have not seen any problems with vista because of an update

It seems to be a very very selective problem. Many of the forum articles I read listed people with multiple machines, some worked others did not. The effects on the machines that did have problems also varied. Some would not boot, others would boot and re-boot over and over, and finally others were like mine, just locking up randomly.

Did any of the reports you see mention any specific hardware? It might be possible to work around the bug by disabling something.

I have Vista Business wondering if this a brand new update last week ? i have changed alot on my system last few days such as working on a network issue thats still buggy hoping that sp1 will fix it but i have not seen random reboots i saw where you said it was selective i have a DellE1505 with 2 gb ram so far updates haven't been a problem i am required to keep all updates on my system so i guess i will run update over night :)