oobe / I.E. / media player

jonathanc

hello,

i bought a RETAIL version of XP PRO SP1 which i want to slipstream to SP2, adding RVMpack and

customize to my needs for a DAW system.

With my previous nlite cd from a VLK XP PRO cd, i removed internet explorer completely and i also removed oobe.

I never have any problems with this installation and never had any activation issue but i noticed that even with my portable Firefox on a usb stick i'm not able to acces the internet (which i didn'n needed).

However, with the system i want to setup now i will need temporarly acces to the internet to registrate some programs but I don't need I.E. , i prefer to use portable Firefox on a usb stick for this.

something else i noticed, in my previous nlitecd (already 2 years ago) i could remove/keep some windows media codecs but now i don't see this option anymore. Is this now part of the acm core codecs?

as far as i can remember i removed all codecs, windows media player and also the classic media player and manually

added wmasf and wmvcore, real alternative and some divx codecs later (i remember before i have got a error in Soundforge complaining about some missing codecs). Now I'm thinking to keep acm core codecs but remove

windows media player (incl classic) but i'm not sure if i need to keep mediaplayer compatibility?

my questions:

(1) Do i need to keep oobe with a XP PRO RETAIL VERSION and do i need to activate it online or so ?

(2) Can i remove IE Explorer completely or should i keep the IE core to acces the internet with firefox portable

(or for oobe compatibility) ? (I ASSUME I'TS BEST TO MARK ETHERNET DHCP FUNCTIONALITY ?!)

(3) when removing media player (incl classic) but keep acm cored codecs do i need mediaplayer compatibility for

anything?

regards.

j.

Edited by jonathanc

hello,

i bought a RETAIL version of XP PRO SP1 which i want to slipstream to SP2, adding RVMpack and

customize to my needs for a DAW system.

With my previous nlite cd from a VLK XP PRO cd, i removed internet explorer completely and i also removed oobe.

I never have any problems with this installation and never had any activation issue but i noticed that even with my portable Firefox on a usb stick i'm not able to acces the internet (which i didn'n needed).

However, with the system i want to setup now i will need temporarly acces to the internet to registrate some programs but I don't need I.E. , i prefer to use portable Firefox on a usb stick for this.

something else i noticed, in my previous nlitecd (already 2 years ago) i could remove/keep some windows media codecs but now i don't see this option anymore. Is this now part of the acm core codecs?

as far as i can remember i removed all codecs, windows media player and also the classic media player and manually

added wmasf and wmvcore, real alternative and some divx codecs later (i remember before i have got a error in Soundforge complaining about some missing codecs). Now I'm thinking to keep acm core codecs but remove

windows media player (incl classic) but i'm not sure if i need to keep mediaplayer compatibility?

my questions:

(1) Do i need to keep oobe with a XP PRO RETAIL VERSION and do i need to activate it online or so ?

(2) Can i remove IE Explorer completely or should i keep the IE core to acces the internet with firefox portable

(or for oobe compatibility) ? (I ASSUME I'TS BEST TO MARK ETHERNET DHCP FUNCTIONALITY ?!)

(3) when removing media player (incl classic) but keep acm cored codecs do i need mediaplayer compatibility for

anything?

regards.

j.

Dear jonathanc,

OOBE is not required in order to use the "validate online" feature.

If you are running/have a genuine version of xp pro (SP1 or Sp2) then you remove of oobe, but if you were (educational purposes) going to need to change the product key (if the copy of xp was pirated - and did not pass validation) then you would need oobe to run the activation wizard.

Another thing;

I'm not sure wether you were aware of this (AFAIK) but if you are running xp pro - and dont validate it, it wont lock you out after 30 days.