Enable Intel AHCI under XP [Case Closed => read second last post]

( Keep the "Intel Robson Technology" (What a name to use in the BIOS) Disabled first and just set SATA as AHCI. )

I tried both[Disabled and Enabled], but failed.

( Or what problem do you have with point 4? )

P5K has Default AHCI Mode on only BIOS 0406. (Not BIOS 0408, 0603, 0805...)

o The step 4 on 0406 :

- ( SATA Configuration[intel Robson Technology - Enabled or Disabled] + Configure SATA as [AHCI or IDE] ) ( I couldn`t go to xp. )

- ( SATA Configuration[Disable or Comparable or Enhanced] + Configure SATA as [AHCI or IDE] ) ( If I select IDE... )

o The step 4 on 0805 :

- ( SATA Configuration[Disable or Comparable or Enhanced] + Configure SATA as [iDE] ) ( I couldn`t see AHCI Mode. ) ( As I said above, 0805 has only IDE on "Configure SATA as" )

------------------

Intel Robson Technology ( http://www.intel.com/technology/magazine/c...robson-1206.htm )

Robson is the code name for a new Intel® platform technology that uses non-volatile memory (Flash memory) to increase system responsiveness, make multi-tasking faster, and extend battery life. Robson technology will be available on Intel’s forthcoming Santa Rosa platform—the next-generation mobile platform building on the power savings and performance benefits of Intel® Centrino® processor technology. Robson technology is designed to support two new features of the upcoming Microsoft Vista* operating system: ReadyBoost* and ReadyDrive* technologies...

-------------------

Hi friends. I have a Gigabyte P35 DS3-L and i have the same problem:

Well that didn't work for me. After setting SATA at AHCI in the bios, windows xp pro doesn't start up anymore. It asks if I want to boot in safemode what doesn't work either. Xp only boots with SATA set to IDE. Not sure where the problems lies.

Please, can you say me step by step how can I enable AHCI in this mobo. Thank you very much

Doesn't work for me as I don't understand why you need to do step 1.
Step one is only when you don’t have a floppy drive, you can also run the EXE file downloaded and edit/run it from there.

Ok. Thank you very much friend, you're a master. It's works well :thumbup Thank you, thank you again. Your online attention was amazing. Only a question... where is NCQ setting? and do you don't recommend me enable write cache in disk drives? My best regards.

where is NCQ setting? and do you don't recommend me enable write cache in disk drives?
NCQ will be automatically enabled if your drive supports it, in your case with a Seagate 320GB SATA (I presume a 7200.10 series drive) it will be automatically enabled.

The write cashing always goes with a warning, you can loose data when your computer doesn’t close a session well or turns of suddenly.

where is NCQ setting? and do you don't recommend me enable write cache in disk drives?
NCQ will be automatically enabled if your drive supports it, in your case with a Seagate 320GB SATA (I presume a 7200.10 series drive) it will be automatically enabled.

The write cashing always goes with a warning, you can loose data when your computer doesn’t close a session well or turns of suddenly.

Curiosly, i check the "write caching" box in device manager to enable it and hit ok. Now, all the boxes in the "policies" tab dealing with write caching are greyed out and can't be checked. Also, the write caching box is now unchecked and I can't change this.

Does this matter?Why did it grey out the boxes?

Hi,

Thank you for this guide :)

However, I'm having problems :(

I strickly followed your guide but I failed :( It always result to BSOD 0x0000007B

I extracted the IASTOR.SYS and copied it to System32\drivers

Created the registry file and ran it.

REbooted, changed to AHCI and Native 0-1 (enabled) save and restart ... and BAM! BSOD

I have a GA-P35-DS3L rev 2.0 F5 Bios

Where did I go wrong?

BTW, my SATA hdd and SATA DVDRW is connected at port 0 and 1 of this board.

THank you.

EDIT: Could it be the BIOS? To the owners of the P35-DS3L boards that made this work, what's your BIOS version? TY

EDIT2: I forgot to ask the most important question :) Is there a method on installing AHCI in this ICH9 PC ..

BEFORE installing Windows?

I'm thinking of reformatting and I was hoping I could just install it without hacking drivers. Is that possible?

Or I don't have any choice but to install XP in IDE mode first then follow this guide, then enable AHCI in bios?

Thank you!

Edited by keplenk

Hi,

when you integrate driverpacks mass storage and driverpacks chipset, the AHCI driver is available for TXTmode, and during windows setup the PnP drivers are also available.

But, it istalls the drivers in the mode that BIOS was in at the time of TXTmode detection, so you could still experience a BSOD if you change the mode in BIOS after windows setup completed..

One possible workaround you could try is integrate Mass storage and chipset on a fresh copy of your source CD, use Method 1, and use KTD. This would copy the INF files and system files of all those drivers and let windows know where they are at on hard disk.

limitation in method one is that you cannot use all packs, but if you do not select all three graphics (only the one you need), and only sound you need, then you might risk including WLAN (Wlan is path hog).

I think M1 with KTD would work better than Method 2 with KTD.

However, Method 2 with KTD has no windows path length limit, and one can include as many packs as one wishes.

It is worth a try..

Oh, with the current release (DPsBase7052), please ALWAYS turn on QSC (and especcially with method 1).

Edited by jtdoom

@VascoMan

Thanks for your reply. :)

I now tried your method ..

Just to let you this is how I did it (please point out my mistake):

1) Extracted the files from Step 1

2) Edited iaahci.inf and TXTSETUP.OEM

3) Copied all the files you mentioned

4) Restared my PC, enabled AHCI in bios and native 0-1 ... 4.1) set boot order CDROM, HDD

5) Booted from my Windows XP cd, pressed F6

6) Pressed "S" and press Enter key when asked (floppy thing)

7) Did some reading noise from the floppy (which seems good)

8) Error:

File txtsetup.oem caused an unexpected error (1024) at line 1747 in d:\nt\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c.

Press any key to continue ...

9) Pressed a key

10) 0x000007B BSOD

I also tried using my Windows XP home CD and gives a similar message exect d:\xpsp2 < something instead of d:\nt\base...

Where did I go wrong?

THanks for your help.

Hi,

Its me again :)

I managed to solve the txtsetup.oem error :D However, its a mystery. I had to write protect my Floppy drive. Thats it. I installed Windows and verified I had ICH9 installed correctly.

*I found a forum post of a guy having the exact same problem, he also thinks its a mystery. write-protecting the floppy solved his problem.

BUT, when I tried to REFORMAT again, just playing around .. To my surprise it gave the same error again (even when right-protected/using the same floppy). I have to reformat my floppy, try again and hope it works. Its intermittent. Right now, after 7 tries of format/write-protect/recopy files to the floppy, it worked! Its so weird.

I think the slipstream method is better. But I don't know how to do it.

@Vascoman, how did you manage to integrate those files in your Windows XP installation CD? Can you give us some basic details on how to do this?

Thanks again VascoMAN and Punto! You both rock!

@Vascoman, how did you manage to integrate those files in your Windows XP installation CD? Can you give us some basic details on how to do this?

Hi

http://users.pandora.be/jtdoom/basetute/Eng_tut6b.htm

warning

DVDRW recommended.

important. mass storage 801 has flaws.

I personally promise that 801 will get a revision, and that means release of 802 is within two days.

Edited by jtdoom

Hi

http://users.pandora.be/jtdoom/basetute/Eng_tut6b.htm

warning

DVDRW recommended.

important. mass storage 801 has flaws.

I personally promise that 801 will get a revision, and that means release of 802 is within two days.

Hey, jtdoom .. thanks for your reply. I'll look in to the guide you gave me. Now, I hope I can understand it. lol.. thanks man!

for people who have ich9r, follow the steps from this link

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=164159

however in step 6 where you want to choose the driver to install, choose the Intel® ICH9 SATA AHCI Controller. then continue with step 7.

it should boot into windows, which then continues with installation. it will ask for another reboot after it finishes. after the second reboot, it should work perfectly.

this method would probably also work for chipsets that support AHCI. unless you want to experiment, please don't try this with a ich9.

i did this with an asus p5k-e wifi/ap board.

Edited by swooc