Enable Intel AHCI under XP [Case Closed => read second last post]

Just a quick heads up... Intel released new drivers yesterday and it seems as if they have changed some things inside the .inf files. Has anyone had a chance to look into this? I'd really like to try this out, but I'd also prefer to use the latest drivers if possible.

Just a quick heads up... Intel released new drivers yesterday and it seems as if they have changed some things inside the .inf files. Has anyone had a chance to look into this? I'd really like to try this out, but I'd also prefer to use the latest drivers if possible.

I will install system onto other HDD with these in few mins. What exactly do you want to know?

I will install system onto other HDD with these in few mins. What exactly do you want to know?

Well, I can tell you that the steps listed in the first post are no longer valid for the latest drivers. I'm sure I could figure out how to achieve the same results based on the previous instructions, but I was just wondering if anyone was already working on that. I'm sort of hoping that Intel changes their minds and incorporates AHCI support into their driver, but I can tell you I tried to slipstream these into my last Windows install and it didnt work.

Just to note:

The line that was originally supposed to be replaced in the .inf file is no longer present.

Hm, well, I just installed the system with help of a diskette with the driver so I can't really comment on this. Didn't work otherwise.

But once installed, it works perfectly. I even have an impression it's a bit faster.

Hm, well, I just installed the system with help of a diskette with the driver so I can't really comment on this. Didn't work otherwise.

But once installed, it works perfectly. I even have an impression it's a bit faster.

Perhaps I should clarify...

I'm running a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L (with ICH9)

I would like to enable AHCI in Windows XP

The initial post by puntomx described how to do that on a current installation after some minor modifications.

On page 3 of this topic, a method for doing this on a fresh install is also listed by Vascoman

Both methods are basically the same, with the only real exception being a registry edit

What I'm saying is that the instructions listed in both of those posts are no longer valid for the latest chipset drivers, posted on June 2nd, because the line that needs to be replaced is not present. I was just wondering if the original poster or anyone else has had a chance to look into this yet. I have not tried anything yet myself, other than seeing if Intel had incorporated support for AHCI on ICH9 in those drivers. Unless I messed up when I slipstreamed the drivers into my Windows install cd, the answer is no.

Edited by S'Nowski

I was just wondering if the original poster or anyone else has had a chance to look into this yet. I have not tried anything yet myself, other than seeing if Intel had incorporated support for AHCI on ICH9 in those drivers.
I would like to look into it but I have my system now up and running with Vista. If you have time and you like to contribute I would be very pleased with it. Sure you will get the credits ;).

Hi puntoMX

We had some private testers going at the "beta", and now that the official AHCI is released by intel, we put up a driverpack for mass storage including that new driver.

I will eventually be able to personally test all BIOS settings in a ICH7, an ICH9 and an ICH9R.

XP live tests take time, and I wish I had 46 hours in a day. :(

What I am saying is that driverpack.net have a testpack with the latest, ready for integration, and we are interested about comparatives and (also) on how it does without us hacking into files. (you know that when it works well without a hack, you don't want to break it.)

I promised we would not forget you people, and I hope intel made the right choice for you.

You see, IF it can be done by F6, it can be done by driverpacks.

(I will also soon look at adding USB drives to driverpacks, so that ...)

EDIT.. my personal tests so far were on a hi end gigabyte mobo, ICH9R, in a raid5 array. (blot in that HW is a Jmicron duplicate for tertiary controller. mobo has 8 sata rails.).

other testplank is an abit with ICH9 (which does not offer AHCI in BIOS :( mobo has six sata rails.)

I am saying I've got some freaks to test. (I have stored 7 issue rich testplanks).

Some of these boards should not have been sold to public. I kept these as litmus test.

Edited by puntoMX

Hi

Just updated to the new 8.2.0.1001 drivers. I was previously using 7.8 installed with the instructions provided here. All I did to update was change the inf file on the new drivers, and update using device manager. Everything good so far.

Using Gigabyte GA-P35-S3L with bios F6 and Win XP Pro SP2

Thanks

Perhaps I should clarify...

I'm running a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L (with ICH9)

I would like to enable AHCI in Windows XP

The initial post by puntomx described how to do that on a current installation after some minor modifications.

On page 3 of this topic, a method for doing this on a fresh install is also listed by Vascoman

Both methods are basically the same, with the only real exception being a registry edit

What I'm saying is that the instructions listed in both of those posts are no longer valid for the latest chipset drivers, posted on June 2nd, because the line that needs to be replaced is not present. I was just wondering if the original poster or anyone else has had a chance to look into this yet. I have not tried anything yet myself, other than seeing if Intel had incorporated support for AHCI on ICH9 in those drivers. Unless I messed up when I slipstreamed the drivers into my Windows install cd, the answer is no.

Can I second the request for post 1 and the page 3 alternative to be updated. I downloaded latest and got confused as hell. BTW, its Ctrl-H not Ctrl-R for Search/Replace... that got me confused before I even found out that there is no 2923 to search for in first place!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Giea sas friends,

I tried an Abit IX38 GuardGT with the following controllers:

Intel® ICH9 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 2926

Intel® ICH9 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 2920

JMicron JMB363 Sata / Pata Controller.

In step 2 and 3 I replaced “2923” to “2920” in all needed places

also in registry file but bsod and restart...

Any advise?

PS: If things were gone ok I could add all other lines for 2926 but...

Things went ok!

1) download intel AHCI drivers version 8.2.0.1001

1) copy iastor.sys to windows\system32\drivers\

2) install modified iaAHCI.inf (*)

3) reboot

4) change in bios from IDE to AHCI

5) and vouala! AHCI ENABLED!

(*) Change line 44 from:

44 : %PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStor_Inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106

to:

44 : %PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2920&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStor_Inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2920&CC_0106

44b: %PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2926&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStor_Inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2926&CC_0106

line 54 from:

54 :%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStor_Inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106

to:

54 :%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2920&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStor_Inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2920&CC_0106

54b :%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2926&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStor_Inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2926&CC_0106

line 214 from:

214 :PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel® ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller"

to:

214 :PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2920&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel® ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller"

214b:PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2926&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel® ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller"._

PuntoMX,

THANKS for this. It worked like a champ for my Asus P5K-DLX, though it took a little bit of sleuthing to realize that in skipping part 2 of your instructions, I also had to adjust the registry tweak.

I also tried it on my son's PC, which has the P5E3 board, and it worked fine, but his Samsung 203N drives do NOT like it and freeze up. my plextor 760a had no issue.

Did anyone else have an issue with a Samsung DVD?

thanks again for the guide.

take care

George

Edited by mopgcw

I also tried it on my son's PC, which has the P5E3 board, and it worked fine, but his Samsung 203N drives do NOT like it and freeze up. my plextor 760a had no issue.

Did anyone else have an issue with a Samsung DVD?

No issues here so far, it must be the AHCI BIOS version of the P5E3 board in combination with that drive, check out this topic too.

You´re welcome, and again welcome to be on the board ;).

• 1 month later...