Enable Intel AHCI under XP [Case Closed => read second last post]

Well not sure where it goes wrong....it BSOD as it boots.... I know my sata controllers are 2921 and 2926 all the registry things im seen havent had those numbers, am i missing something here? does the AHCI have different numbers?

Could my DVD player have an affect on this? I do see the windows splash scree for about a sec then it BSODS

Here are the ID's of my controllers now.... which is different from what im seen

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2921&CC_0101 = ICH9 family 2 port sata Controller 1

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2926&CC_0101 = ICH9 family 2 port sata Controller 2

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2921&SUBSYS_B0021458&REV_02\3&13C0B0C5&0&FA = SATA 1

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2926&SUBSYS_B0021458&REV_02\3&13C0B0C5&0&FD = SATA 2

Edited by jmartina

... does the AHCI have different numbers?

Could my DVD player have an affect on this? I do see the windows splash screen for about a sec then it BSODS

No different numbers, but it could be your DVD(-RW) indeed. Did you run the AHCI_ICH9.REG? As I described the procedure in my first post it should work, just do it over again, you must have missed a step somehow...

No doubt, AHCI Rulez!!! :thumbup Testing in my mobo, Gigabyte P35 DS3-L, Seagate 3200.10 320gb Sata 2 16mb cache:

Copying folder 793mb from partition to desktop:

- Without AHCI, Sata drivers, Write cache enabled: 52 seg.

- With AHCI, Intel Storage Manager drivers, Write cache disabled: 39 seg.

A big difference, INMHO... The only drawback in AHCI mode is that i can't enabled write cache (is grayed out)

Greetings from Spain

gigabyte ga-p35-s3g, winXpProSP2, WD5001ABYS (500gig sata2)

I followed original directions, and at first I got the blue screen STOP. I deactivated sata settings in bios. Rebooted. I went back and right clicked the INF file and selected install, I also went to device manager and selected the IDE device and forced a driver update to the modified files from the floppy image. Changed bios to native sata with ahci. reboot. Windows boots now.post-179403-1204213275_thumb.jpg

Now I just dont know if it is correct. Without SATA enabled in the BIOS, the driver was showing the harddrive as an IDE using DMA 5.

With this new intel driver, under "intel ICH9...controller" there is no info on the diskdrive or mode. I also still have listed 'Primary and Secondary IDE'. Under Primary IDE (advanced) device type is auto detect with mode DMA,...current mode is 'not applicable'.

I cant tell if this is correct.

Are the entries for Pimary and Secondary IDE remaining from the prior driver/prior bios entry?

or are these supposed to be there under the AHCI driver?

Should I see my SATA interface listed somewhere else. I was expecting a tab with options to turn off NCQ, and info on the current transfer mode (something like "SATA generation 2 3G")

I also have a sata dvd burner (liteon) installed and working.

I am used to seeing the individual sata chanels listed with maximum transfer rates, and current drives plugged in. I am not seeing them here, and I want to know if I installed the driver correctly, or if maybe I missed something, or need to install something else.

Does it look this way for everyone?

As a side note, at this point, with the driver installed, if I delete the device entries and reboot, will it boot or will it bluescreen again?

---

ubcd4windows,

I built this cd in november of 07.

I had to disable AHCI in bios to get it to boot. (I was able to leave 'native-sata' enabled). I think someone mentioned getting AHCI to work under this environment. Maybe it is a later build, or other drivers were included (slipstreamed).

Not exactly on topic, but if anyone is hitting bluescreen with this PE based boot cd, it may be the AHCI.

captainvideo,

What you see is not the SATA controller, it’s the PATA controller.

You won’t see the mode of your drives that are connected now, just the AHCI controller.

You successfully enabled AHCI on your ICH9. ;)

post-179403-1204249970_thumb.jpg

OK, so I guess you mean this screen. I dont really know what I am looking at there, but I wish i could see something that showed me that my specific drive was being recognized and working under a specified transfer rate. When I look at these entries, i think i am look at the ability of the controller to handle certain types of drives, but i am not certain that i am seeing the fact that a certain drive is being recognized under a specific mode.

Maybe it is right there, I dont know. I currently have the westerndigital drive, and I have a SATA liteon dvd drive hooked up. I dont know what the specification for the dvd drive is, but I suspect it is different from the harddrive.

post-179403-1204250698_thumb.jpg

I ran HDtune to see if it would tell me anything. I dont know if anything can be seen from that image either as I have never used htune before. My main concern is transfer rates. I was worried that the default setup in my bios (gigabyte/award) was designed to take the sata drives and mimic pata/ide. I installed windowsXP yesterday, and i noticed the drives listed as DMA5. I was thinking that there might be improvement if the harddrive was actually recognized as sata gen2, so I found this thread and here I am.

My thanks to everyone that has helped with this.

Hi everyone.

read this interesting post and couldn't use any of the methods mentionned, i hope you can give me a hand.

I have a gigybate G33-DS2R motherboard, which is ICH9R equiped.

In my windows hardware management screen, I have 2 ICH9 controllers installed which are :

ICH9 2 ports SATA Storage controller 2 - 2926

ICH9 2 ports SATA Storage controller 1 - 2920

What should I do to be able to avoid BSOD on boot when activating AHCI and SATA Native in Bios ?

Thank you very much for your help !

Sebmex

P.S. : by the way, when I try to install the Intel Matrix Storage package, it says I don't meet minimum requirements ... I have a raid compatible mobo ... ! how comes it says that ??

Edited by sebmex

sebmex,

You have a ICH9R, so you need to skip step 2, your chipset is already in that INI file.

Intel® ICH9 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 2921
Intel® ICH9 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 2921
Intel® ICH9 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 2926
Intel® ICH9 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 2923
Intel® ICH9 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 2923
Intel® ICH9 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 2920
Intel® ICH9 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 2920
Intel® ICH9 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 2922
Intel® ICH9 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 2922
Intel® ICH9M 1 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 292E
Intel® ICH9M 1 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 292E
Intel® ICH9M 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 2928
Intel® ICH9M 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 2928
Intel® ICH9M 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 292D
Intel® ICH9M 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 292D

* going to edit this post in a bit...

Guest silicon_ghost
sebmex,

You have a ICH9R, so you need to skip step 2, your chipset is already in that INI file.

* going to edit this post in a bit...

Hrmm, I'm confused, I have the same issue as puntoMX. Following the various instructions failed to get AHCI working.

I have a Gigabyte EP35-DS4 that in the device manager shows the following items:

Intel ICH9 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 2926

Intel ICH9 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 2920

Intel ICH9 SATA AHCI Controller

That last one may be bogus from all the messing around I did attempting to make this work. The sticker on the Gigabyte box has ICH9R on it. Sure am curious what the difference is between ICH9 and ICH9R. Is is simply some level of RAID support? I generally consider onboard RAID bogus as it chews up CPU power; I have a real 3Ware RAID controller in another system I built.

Also, I see mentions on the web that I will lose my SATA DVD drive if I enable this AHCI in WinXP. Any truth to that?