Benefit of including apps and tools in the slipstreamed XP CD

Kaneda

Hey all,

I have a rather general question, plz don't burn me as a heretic :whistle:

The benefit of slipstreaming HF, SP and stuff like IE7 and WMP11 is out of the question, since it reduces the overhead and creates a much cleaner install.

But how about applications? Beginning from .NET to Shockwave and Adobe reader and whatever, what is the point?

Of course it is veryconvenient, especially for the complete unattended install. But is there also some sort of measurable benefit for the production system later when these applications are installed during the system setup? I kinda guess for them it is pretty much the same (though of course it makes sense to slipstream the .NET Updates into, well, the .NETs, but that could be done with an Admin Installation Point as well, right?

any thoughts on this? Am I maybe missing one critical benefit?

regards,

kaneda

There is no benefit when you look at your system later (not a production system, as the nLite EULA does not allow this) if the applications were installed later or during setup. The advantage is first of all the ease of use; once the installation is done, you have all your applications already installed as well. Why not use RunOnceEx for example you might wonder; my opinion is that if an application can be installed during setup, you won't notice that they're being installed, afterwards via RunOnceEx you'll see a whole different setup screen, which always makes someone wonder what it is. I like the fact that once setup is done, my whole installation process is done and nothing needs to be installed anymore.

With "production system" I actually just meant my real PC (err notebook) and not a test system or virtual PC ;)

But you confirmed what I was thinking. Because I have only limited time on my hands to spent trying to include all my apps in nlite, and with such rather limited benefit, I will just install them normally later.

Thanks for your input!

regards,

kaneda

Edited by Kaneda