XP Full CD vs Upgrade CD

Kaneda

Hello all,

I have a question:

Is there a technical difference between a "Full XP Install CD" and an "Upgrade XP CD"? Here in my office we have multiple versions (distributed by MS other the past years) of XP, both Japn and Engl and some are pre SP1, some are SP1 and some are SP2. But for whatever reason, the last Engl. XP SP2 Full Install CD is gone, we are stuck with an upgrade CD or pre-SP1 CDs (of course we have a volume license).

I actually didn't notice this when I used the upgrade CD for some slipstreaming tests, since I could always do a full install with the new slipstreamed CD on a freshly formatted drive.

However once I wanted to install directly without slipstreaming on virtual machine, and then I received the error message that no previous version to upgrade can be found.

So now I wonder, why did the slipstreamed version work? Is the upgrade CD technically a full XP with a restricted license/installer (would make sense)? Or did the slipstreaming tool somehow added some necessary previoulsy missing files to the CD so it then could do a full install?

The key used to install was always the same from our volume license.

The upgrade version should ask for a CD of a previous version of Windows that is qualified to be upgraded during setup (like windows 2000) and it does allow clean installation. Setup may also scan for existing Windows installs and if you have an existing XP install then it would not ask for a CD from another version of Windows.

The only difference between a full version and an upgrade CD OEM or retail is one file, 7 files if comparing volume license vs retail/OEM. Though I haven't heard of any volume license upgrade CDs.

The upgrade version should ask for a CD of a previous version of Windows that is qualified to be upgraded during setup (like windows 2000) and it does allow clean installation. Setup may also scan for existing Windows installs and if you have an existing XP install then it would not ask for a CD from another version of Windows.

The only difference between a full version and an upgrade CD OEM or retail is one file, 7 files if comparing volume license vs retail/OEM. Though I haven't heard of any volume license upgrade CDs.

Well I could make and post a pic of the CD itself which says "Upgrade with SP2" quite next to the "(Volume License Product Key Required)". Unless I am totally mistaken and wrong (though that happens, I can assure you :whistle: ), it would mean it is a Volume License Upgrade CD I think.

And yes, the Upgrade Install asks for a original Full XP CD, however after slipstreaming the new CD (based on the Upgrade CD) doesn't ask anymore...and that is a little surprising to me...

regards,

kaneda

Edited by Kaneda

And yes, the Upgrade Install asks for a original Full XP CD, however after slipstreaming the new CD (based on the Upgrade CD) doesn't ask anymore...and that is a little surprising to me...

What do you slipstream ? (what do you add ?)

Only all missing hotfixes and general updates as well as IE7 and WMP11. That's it ... no .NET, no WGA tool, not even the Windows Installer 3.1 (yet), no drivers.

All of the updates I download myself with the CT offline update tool directly from MS, so no addons/update packs. The only other tool I used was the WMP11 slipstreamer, but even the setups without WMP11 in it installed without "Upgrade CD issues".

No extra tools, no changes to services and components, just minor harmless tweaks such as "start with classic Start Menu" etc...

But it is a fully unattended installation, except the blue screen/format part at the beginning...

Edited by Kaneda