Frustrated - Explorer crashes when i just highlight an AVI file

morland

Hi,

I have set a file to be opened when I double click it. However as soon as I simply selected any video file (have noticed this problem mostly with avi files), explorer crashes. Any clues? Can some help me... want to rename my video files but simply can't because I select the file and even before I press F2 or right click (to rename)...the same explorer crash problem :(

This should fix it.

; SPEED UP ACCESS TO AVI-FILES
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32]

; DISABLE PREVIEW OF MOVIE FILE FORMATS
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi\ShellEx]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpg\ShellEx]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpe\ShellEx]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpeg\ShellEx]

Hi Arie: Thanks but how do I add the script to the registry? Sorry for this kinder garden question... Do I copy paste the file to a text file and then save it with some special extension (instead of txt) and then right click and merge it????? Will appreciate your reply.

Hi eyeball: Thanks for the suggestion. Ran the command and it went fine but when I tried to rename any avi file, the same problem again :(

Hi Arie: Thanks but how do I add the script to the registry? Sorry for this kinder garden question... Do I copy paste the file to a text file and then save it with some special extension (instead of txt) and then right click and merge it????? Will appreciate your reply.

Paste the following in Notepad and save the file as "morland.reg" (note: only the extension is important):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; SPEED UP ACCESS TO AVI-FILES
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32]

; DISABLE PREVIEW OF MOVIE FILE FORMATS
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi\ShellEx]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpg\ShellEx]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpe\ShellEx]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpeg\ShellEx]

Double click the saved file, morland.reg, and when asked if you would like to import into your Registry, answer Yes. Please let me know if you managed and if it solved your problem.

Hi all,

Should I install only ffdshow or should i install K-Lite Mega Codec Pack? Will appreciate your reply.

BTW, the problem seems to have been solved and I am posting the solution for the benefit of all members. I "think" Step #2 did the trick but I'm posting everything that I did:

1) I uninstalled VLC player which I had since ages. I think I installed it way back because I was unable to view some video files in Media Player. As a result I am now again unable to view video files and probably this will be solved by installing ffdshow or K-Lite Mega Codec Pack.

2) While searching for a solution I came across a solution which probably did the trick. What I did is to disable AVI preview by running this command ---> "regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll"

Thanks a lot everyone. Really appreciate your help and replies :)