Presets 'last session' incomplete?

70runner

Good news: successfully created a nearly unattended nlite XP Pro install iso on first attempt. Booted into virtualbox and discovered I missed the time zone setting. Otherwise all went well.

Bad news: when I returned to nlite to adjust a few things, discovered the preset 'last session' load was seriously incomplete. Listing is below. None of the extensive components settings were evident. What did I do wrong???

[Main]

Env = 1.4 - 2.0.50727.832.Microsoft Windows NT 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

Target = Windows XP Professional SP1 - 5.1.2600.1106 - English (United States)

[Tasks]

Service Pack Integration

Remove Components

Unattended Setup

Integrate Drivers

Hotfixes and Update Packs

Tweaks

Create a Bootable ISO

Options

[Components]

;# Compatibility #

[KeepFiles]

msconfig.exe

[RemoveFiles]

clock.avi

yahoo.bmp

swtchbrd.bmp

[Options]

ProfilesDir = "%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings"

TargetPath = "WINDOWS"

temp_dir = %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp

[Patches]

[services2]

[Tweaks]

[unattended]

ComputerType = Default

MaximumDataStorePercentOfDisk = 12

RestorePointLife = 30

DesktopTheme = Default||

AutoUDay = 5

AutoUHour = 15

ProgFilesPath = "\Program Files"

[NetAdapter1]

connname = ""

macaddress = ""

ipaddress = "192.168.0.1"

subnetmask = "255.255.255.0"

defaultgateway = ""

dnsserver1 = ""

dnsserver2 = ""

winsserver = ""

netbiossetting = "0"

ipxnetworknumber = "00000000"

ipxnetworkframetype = "0xFF"

[GuiRunOnce]

[Drivers]

[Hotfixes]

Good news: successfully created a nearly unattended nlite XP Pro install iso on first attempt.

When you say "first attempt", do you mean you ran nLite once or just that this is your first ISO ?

If you ran nLite twice, you'll only see the Last Session.ini with last session's operations (hence the name...), not the total of all that was removed since starting from original MS CD. Maybe you can search in your \Program Files\nLite\presets folder to check for other ini files.

Yes, I ran nlite once. I did search the presets folder to check for ini files. Are the "components" settings supposed to be captured by the ini file? Is there a save settings at the end of the nlite process that I missed?

nLite automatically captures your every session, including the components and all other settings you choose and, by default (unless you disable this option at the end), also drops this information in a file named LAST SESSION.INI in the ISO (not the one named LAST SESSION_U.INI). When you open nLite for the second, third, fourth, etc. time, you will see in the presets page a list of all your previous sessions: all are called Last Session and are dated & timed, except your very last session which is shown without a date+time. These files are all located in [C:\Program Files\nLite\Presets]. You can then choose to load one of these sessions or not (i.e. start from scratch). Now, if you have already made an ISO and you want the presets of that session but cannot find which one it is from nLite’s list, you can simply insert your nLited CD and click to import the last session.ini from that CD. Note that, here, you only load the settings, not the source files. You will need the original installation source if you want to add a component you have removed in that session but later found out that you need it. If you just want to remove additional components, though, you can use your nLited CD’s installation source.

It would be a lot easier for me if all changes to the original source were stored in one preset. If I would like to start over, I now need to pick an early preset for the components and a recent preset for all other tweaks that I applied later. Kinda annoying...