1 Mbps no >> 100 Kbps

Hi everybody

I have a very big problem.I have bought an Internet connection from "Turk Telekom" Company (Turkey's biggest ISP Company). The company says me that "your download speed is 1 Mbps" but I have been downloading files with the maximum speed of 100 Kbps.And I have to say this information. " I download with speed of 100Kbps only at nights " . Can anybody explain me why my speed is so low?

*flails arms in panic*

People!!! The key part that just about EVERYONE in this thread missed is the capitalization! :P

1Mbps = One megabit per second. The lowercase 'b' indicates a bit.

1MBps = One megabyte per second. Uppercase 'B' indicates a byte.

Just to minimize confusion, I'll typically write rated network speeds in terms of Mbps, while I'll write download speeds in KB/s or MB/s. That way there's a clear distinction between the two.

Now that that's been said, it makes sense that your 1Mbps connection is getting you about 100KB/s download speeds. :)

so i have understood that 1mbps=(approximately)100 kbps.

You definitely can't put it like that, re-read Xzian's post, there are bits on one side and bytes on the other side, you can't just write 'bps' for both, it doesn't make sense !

Check your speed on test sites, like this one for instance. It should show at least 500kb/sec.

They advertise 1mbps... so you have a max dl speed of 125KBps.

Yeah it is confusing.

Like Zxian said. Watch for the capitalization.

When you download it should be rated with a capital "B".

There are 8 bits in a Byte.

Like 8 nibbles on a sandwitch equals a Bite. ;)

There are 8 bits in a Byte.

Like 8 nibbles on a sandwitch equals a Bite. ;)

Not to make things more confusing... There are 4 bits to a nibble, and 2 nibbles to a Byte. The reason why they named this is because 4 bits is the exact amount of data stored in a hexadecimal number. :)