SP3 "IE v7" and "WMP v11" Security Update Question

Outbreaker

HI :)

I have Slpstremed SP3 into my CD And i have also included "IE v7" and "WMP v11" in nLite v1.4.1 but if i got after the installation to the Windows Update Website then i see only 2 Updates KB941569 and KB890830 but no "IE v7" and "WMP v11" Updates is that normal if yes why. :wacko:

The KB890830 is the latest MS malicious software removal tool, and the KB941569 is a hotfix for windows media files. Why are you concerned? If your IE7 and WMP11 work ok, then I would say it is perfect, not just normal. :thumbup

Did you integrated IE7 and WMP11 with addon packs? The WMP11 addon pack I used also directly offers to integrate all hotfixes.

As for IE7, SP3 includes all patches up-to-date for it (otherwise the SP3 wouldn't make so much sense I think). So maybe it also includes all WMP11 updates... actually, I certainly hope it does!

IE7 hotfix installers are limited to SP2 where as WMP11 hotfixes are limited to some really high service pack number. So in order to receive updates for IE7 you have to wait for them to allow installation on SP3, until then you'll be vulnerable.

IE7 hotfix installers are limited to SP2 where as WMP11 hotfixes are limited to some really high service pack number. So in order to receive updates for IE7 you have to wait for them to allow installation on SP3, until then you'll be vulnerable.

hm sorry but I don't get what you mean. Even if SP3 would not include IE7 and WMP11 hotfixes, he can still download/install/slipstream then manually. Or will SP3 keep me from installing IE7 Hotfixes? That I can't really imagine...?

If you download the updates manuell and you want to install this updates then you get a Error (Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of this system is newer than the update you are applying. There is no need to install this update.) But the problem is that the SP3 Beta has no "IE 7" and "WMP 11" upadte in it.

Ohh that's not good then i switch back to SP2.

Why would you want to "switch back"; this implies that you are planning on using a release candidate in a "production" (I use this term widely here) environment and not in a test environment, what release candidates are meant for really. My advise, never install pre-release versions of any software on your machine if the machine in question is not a test machine. Keep in mind that you can also test pre-release software in a virtual environment, so it doesn't interfere with your normal workstation behaviour.

If you download the updates manuell and you want to install this updates then you get a Error (Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of this system is newer than the update you are applying. There is no need to install this update.) But the problem is that the SP3 Beta has no "IE 7" and "WMP 11" upadte in it.

why is that? Shouldn't the final SP3 include also IE7 and WMP11 updates? Are they just excluded temporarily since probably more of them will come until the release date?

SP3 can't include IE7 or WMP 11 updates because it still comes with IE6 and WMP 9 and there are completely different updates for each. The installers for each aren't continually updated and wouldn't include updates from only a few days ago, but IE7 still supersedes IE6 SP3 and WMP 11 supersedes WMP 9.

The real problem is that the updates for IE7 are restricted to service pack 2 and you get an error message like "Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of the system installed is newer than the update you are applying to it. You can only install this update on Service Pack 2." even though if the restriction were gone it would work just fine. But the restriction is there so you can't update IE7 when installed on SP3. The WMP 11 updates does not have a restriction of only SP2 which is why you are presented it on Windows Update and it installs without a problem.

Every update has a file that says "This is the minimum service pack requirement and this is the maximum service pack requirement." IE7 hotfixes like the ones for this month say "minimum SP2 and maximum SP2" or in other words "SP2 ONLY". WMP 11 & this month hotfix for WMP 11 are "Min SP2 and max SP20" (there won't be anything beyond SP3 so SP20 is just for good measure). I tried editing the IE7 hotfix to allow SP3 but it just gives a signing error and doesn't install.

Edited by redxii

SP3 includes updates for IE7 (this is from official release notes for SP3), but will install them only if IE7 is already installed. Don't know what it will do when slipstreaming though.

can u please show that files to me?