tcp/ip patch

emailaya

hi

i installed a new nlite installation of my xp

i dont know why but i didnt patch the tcp/ip so it has the value of 10 (default)

i read: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=267665

and i do get the following error in the event viewer

http://www.i-like-pie.com/neowin/tcpiperr.jpg

few questions plz:

1) can this error cause a restart of my computer?

2) should i patch the tcp/ip?

3) if so, for how many connections?

4) if so, how can i do it if XP is already installed?

thanks allot for your help

thank you for the link

it's a year and a half old, im using xp sp2 + all critical updates since

r u sure its ok?

about my other questions

can the error cause a restart of my computer?

to how many connections do u suggest i should patch it?

thanks

The patcher will work, it's made so that it can detect the correct position to patch even in newer versions of tcpip.sys, that's why it doesn't have to be updated every time Microsoft releases a newer version. As for your questions, this error should not cause restarts, unless you have some programs/hardware that can't handle too many connections (like nforce4 network chips with nvidia firewall). It isn't recommended to set it over 999 and in most cases anything between 50 and 99 should be more than enough.

The patcher will work, it's made so that it can detect the correct position to patch even in newer versions of tcpip.sys, that's why it doesn't have to be updated every time Microsoft releases a newer version. As for your questions, this error should not cause restarts, unless you have some programs/hardware that can't handle too many connections (like nforce4 network chips with nvidia firewall). It isn't recommended to set it over 999 and in most cases anything between 50 and 99 should be more than enough.

thank you very much

i will set it on 75 then :)

emailaya, if that tool doesn't recognize some newer tcpip in the future then you can patch with nLite and simply extract tcpip.sys from that installation folder. Just be careful to use the same hotfixes or service pack which you used for the real install.