GUIDE: Download Everything Microsoft (MSDBuild v5.5)

Yea you may be right, the urlmon.dll from IE6 does not have that icon...so it would only work for IE7/8 users

I thought you could just point to the icon in urlmon.dll & IE8/7 users would have the nice globe icon and IE6 users would not be affected, they would have the same older icon you point to now.

Yea you may be right, the urlmon.dll from IE6 does not have that icon...so it would only work for IE7/8 users

I thought you could just point to the icon in urlmon.dll & IE8/7 users would have the nice globe icon and IE6 users would not be affected, they would have the same older icon you point to now.

Q: How could I accomplish that within an .inf file (one icon if IE7/IE8 is installed and another if not)?

One of my goals was to have it such that the user could use whatever IE version whenever. So for example, the IE8 registry settings for ActiveX control per-user and per-domain authorization are present before you ever install IE8. But once you install IE8, the update web sites should still work without manual authorization, since they have been pre-authorized. This means that MSDownloads.exe contains the same .inf files, no matter which IE version the user has installed. Luckily, there has been no issues thus far. The extra registry settings required to silence per-domain ActiveX control authorization in IE8 do not adversely impact IE7 or IE6. And the per-user settings you pointed me, which are required for both IE8 and IE7, do not adversely impact IE6. So the same .inf file is used for all three scenarios, and it creates the same shortcut for Microsoft Update Catalog, using the same icon, no matter which IE version is installed.

Q1: Is there a way conditionally install a shortcut within an .inf file?

Q2: Is there a way ascertain the IE version within an .inf file?

My guess to both is most likely not. But I'm no expert here (I still read your handy WinCert guides). So to me, the simplest solution is to simply rip the Globe icon from urlmon.dll from IE8 and include it as an .ico file. (I'm already doing this with the Office icon.) Then I can point to the same file no matter which IE version is installed and find the icon.

But if there is another way, I'm always open to learning a new technique!

what about 64 bit machine,because muweb.dll is store in other location. And what will happen if the version changes of microsoft update.

I know from the referenced sources, that we could actually install the .dlls to either %WinDir% or %WinDir%\System32 (and most likely to any other folder). We just need to change the registered file path in the associated setup information file. In fact, one of the ActiveX control's .dll (Office Update if I remember correctly) currently resides under %WinDir%, while the rest reside under %WinDir%\System32.

I used the same locations Microsoft used for each control on 32-bit Windows. So long as the registry keys and values are used to register the ActiveX controls are the same on 64-bit Windows as they are on 32-bit Windows, then the file locations should not matter.

MSDBuild.exe's job is to package the most recent versions of all the related ActiveX controls into your MSDownloads.exe package at the time you build it. MSDownloads.exe's job is to install what was packaged on your PC, in a working state, during Windows unattended installation. From there Microsoft takes over, and auto-updates each of the various ActiveX controls, on their own schedule.

As Ricktendo64 mentions, when any ActiveX control auto-updates, it should download, install, and re-register and the next version of its .dll where it really belongs. The only downside of might be that maybe the older .dll version might be orphaned and left behind on your system. That is to say I'm not sure that the ActiveX auto-update will remove a .dll file stored in a location different from the location it installs the new .dll version to. By contrast, when the ActiveX control installs its new .dll version to the same location that MSDownloads.exe installed the old .dll version to, then the old .dll is overwritten by the new and no obsolete files are left on your system.

Can I get a code of the MSBuilder.exe so that I can customize it according to it.

You've already have it! :whistle: It's all just script files archived up inside a WinRar SFX. Just download everything using WUD and extract MSDBuild.exe to a folder without running it. The only thing that you do not have is the script I use to automatically package MSDBuild.exe. We can worry about that one later.

Unfortunately, I only have 32-bit versions of Windows XP to test on, so I can only speculate. I cannot actually test and confirm where the files should go or if the registry keys and values are all the same on a 64-bit system. I also wonder if the datastore.edb file works the same on 64-bit Windows, and if a seperate version of datastore.ed_ should be maintained for 64-bit systems?

The whole time I've maintained this guide, no one with a 64-bit system has informed me if any of this even works on a 64-bit system or not. And no one using 64-bit Windows has stepped forward to test and report back. So I have no confirmed knowledge if the .dlls are the same for 64-bit windows, or if the requisite Windows update downloads are the same.

So instead of letting you change things, how about you help me find out what works first. For now, I'd ask you to not change anything, and please perform following test and reports the results.

On a Windows 64-bit system, attempt to build a MSDownloads.exe package strictly as follows:

1. Manually, launch all four Microsoft Update web sites and install their ActiveX controls, ensuring everything is working and authorized so that when close your browser and relaunch the web site, you are not prompted for anything.
  2. Install all Windows updates (related to my guide or not) using Windows/Microsoft Update. Your system should be up-to-date.
  3. Download and Install WUD (I think it requires .NET Framework, but check the WUD website).
  4. Download and install my MSDownloads.ulz from the first post here.
  5. Using WUD, you can click on any files in my list to open the KB article. Research which updates have 64-bit version.
    Q1: Which Updates from this guide have 64-bit versions?
    I know about Windows Update Agent v7.2.6001.788
    Q2: Does WUD work on Windows 64-bit correctly?
  6. Manually download any your 64-bit versions to your WUD download folder, and delete the related 32-bit version of the same update.
  7. Double-click MSDBuild.exe.
    NOTE: For now, customize nothing.
    Q3: Does MSDBuild.exe (and thus MSDBuild.cmd, 7-zip, and my various VBScripts) work correctly on Windows 64-bit?
    Q4: Did they collectively create a MSDownload.exe package?
    Q5: Does the MSDBuild.log file show any errors or warnings? (Please provide me this file as an attachment.)
  8. On this updated 64-bit PC, navigate to the Download Program Files folder. Right-click on each Update ActiveX Control and select Properties. Inspect the Code Base urls for each ActiveX control.
    Q6: Are these the same as what I'm using in SFX-MSD.ini?
    Note that for some ActiveX controls, that I'm using the static Microsoft url, if I know it. I would expect these to be different for 64-bit windows. So could you paste the urls for me?
  9. Create a 64-bit XPCD, but only add those updates and MSDownloads.exe as documented in my guide (from svcpack.inf). Do not install any other windows update or .Net Frameworks, et cetera. (This will save you a lot testing time.) Keep it with IE6 too.

On a test Windows 64-bit system, test strictly as follows:

1. Test install your 64-bit XPCD.
  2. After Windows Setup completes, Look for the icons MSDownloads.exe creates. And try running all the different update sites (you do not need Office installed to run Office Update).
    Q7: Did the shortcuts I document in the guide get created?
    Q8: Do the Update web sites work?
    Q9: Do any of the Update web sites prompt you to install or authorize any ActiveX controls?
    Q10: Do any of the Update web sites prompt you to download and install any other Windows updates?
  3. If everything is working so far, then install IE7 manually on the VPC (and any updates it requires too) and test the update sites again.
    Q11: Did you see any IE7-related prompts to authorize or install ActiveX controls?
  4. If everything is working so far, then install IE8 manually on the VPC (and any updates it requires too) and test the update sites again.
    Q12: Did you see any IE8-related prompts to authorize or install ActiveX controls?

If you can do the testing for me, I can help you get a working 64-bit version. I'm not always near a high-speed Internet connection, so this may take awhile. But we can get it done.

Hello ,Thanks for your Suppport as the microsoft update agent you have created for 32-bit worked like a charm !!..At present the problem we are facing is ,We are unable to execute the exe which you have provided on any of the 64-bit version OS .The reason for this is the location of muweb.dll varies for 64-BIt edition OS its ( c:\windows\SysWow64 ) due to which we are unable to Switch to microsoft update site in 64 bit systems .We have researched and observed that muweb.dll version is same for 32 bit and 64 bit systems .We wanted to know can you make few modification in your previous exe and change the location of muweb.dll to SysWow64 folder..If this is not possible then can you make a Setup for us ,which will download the muweb.dll from the site and place it in SysWow64 folder ..If you can do this then it would be a Big day for us !! as this is the big problem we are facing right now ..We are not developers so its difficult to understand the Script language for us ..It would be great help if you could provide us the micrsoft update agent for 64 Bit OR a EXE which will do the job of placing muweb.dll in SysWow64 folder ..Stay Connected ...Thank You ..

@Windows XP 64-bit users.

Folks, here's the situation (as I see it):

• Windows XP 64-bit works differently than Windows XP 32-bit.
  • Software manufacturers (like Microsoft) release different copies of their programs for Windows XP 64-bit than they do for Windows XP 32-bit. This is likely to impact the tools and scripts I use in this project, as well as the files that should be installed to your Windows XP 64-bit system and where those files should be installed.
  • I have a 100% completely-working, and scripted process. However, it is currently only supports Windows XP 32-bit.
  • While I can at least develop enough to manage this project, I do not have access to Windows XP 64-bit—at all. Thus, Windows XP 64-bit is a huge, unknown blackbox to me.
  • I'm an Atheist and a Scientist—This means I take nothing on faith and I rely solely on repeatable test results. And until somebody is willing to get me some, I cannot and will not help you folks.
  • Most people who ask me for Windows XP 64-bit support are not developers. But even worse, they are seemingly completely unwilling to actually help me do any of the leg work required to help answer some very specific questions. This is really a shame, since what I'm asking for is not development skills, but simply trying some things out, looking up some information, and reporting back to me with the results. If you want something fixed, be part of the solution not part of the problem.

To summarize, I need a lot more answers from you Windows XP 64-bit folks than questions right now. So some of you need to step up and be my hands and eyes, otherwise we are not going to get very far with a working Windows XP 64-bit version of MSDBuild.

At present the problem we are facing is ,We are unable to execute the exe which you have provided on any of the 64-bit version OS .
Q1: Not to pick on you, but what exactly are you you saying?
  1. The MSDBuild.exe does not even run on 64-bit Windows?
  2. The MSDBuild.exe runs on 64-bit Windows, but the something produces an error?
  3. The MSDBuild.exe runs on 64-bit Windows, but the resulting output does not work for you (due to things you have mentioned later)?
  4. All the above?
  5. Something else?

You must understand that at this point, I do not even know if the version of 7-Zip I use to create the MSDownloads.exe package even works correctly on Windows XP 64-bit. I also don't know if MSDBuild.exe will unpack itself and even run on Windows XP 64-bit. And nobody seems willing to answer these very simple questions.

The location of muweb.dll varies for 64-BIt edition OS its (c:\windows\SysWow64 ) due to which we are unable to Switch to microsoft update site in 64 bit systems.

This is first useful piece of information anyone using Windows XP 64-bit windows has provided me (but I still need a lot more information). This tells me I at least need to make a version of the .inf file that registers muweb.dll so it installs it to a different folder for 64-bit Windows. Plus it even tells me the folder. (However, I'm certain this is not the only thing that will need to be changed before everything works correctly.)

We have researched and observed that muweb.dll version is same for 32 bit and 64 bit systems.

Since you are not a developer (and since I'm an Atheist Scientist) this is not enough information for me. Having the same version does not necessarily mean it is the same file, or that the file was downloaded from the same URL. So please answer the following questions.

Q:2 What is the Code Base URL?

1. Open %WinDir%\Downloaded Program Files.
  2. Right click on MUWebControl Class and click Properties.
  3. Copy the Code Base URL and paste it in your reply.
    NOTE: It scrolls off the dialog so be sure you get all of it.

Q:3 What is the MD5 Checksum for the file? (You can Google for free tools that provide this.)

Q:4 What is the File Size in KB?

Q:5 What is the Modified Date/Time Stamp?

Q:6 What is the File Version?

So you are clear what I'm looking for, I've pasted the information for the 32-bit version of muweb.dll below. I want the same pieces of information for an up-to-date 64-bit version of muweb.dll.

Code Base: http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1139406804265
MD5: d2e6f0a06391fe5556e8a1d6d5041a5e
Size: 204KB
Modified Date/Time: 2008-10-16 03:06:48 PM
File Version: 7.2.6001.788

NOTICE: Do you folks see that URL I posted just above? do you see the "x86" string in it? That usually means 32-bit. So I need to know if the Code Base URLs for the ActiveX control files installed on Windows XP 64-bit have a different download URL. It is possible that there are different files for each architecture, even though they may be versioned the same.

Q:7 Also, please export the follow registry key to a .reg file and post it as an attachment.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database]

We wanted to know can you make few modification in your previous exe and change the location of muweb.dll to SysWow64 folder ...We are not developers so its difficult to understand the Script language for us

You need me to make the Windows XP 64-bit version for you. But I need you (or someone) to do the things I ask for on Windows XP 64-bit and answer the questions I've asked. Without the answers to my questions, nothing is going to get done. The more answers I get, the more that will get done.

i've made MicrosoftUpdateAgent ver.7.2.6001.788

it uses the same setup engine like the original WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe and, of course, supports the same setup switches:

MicrosoftUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce /quiet /norestart

supports 24 languages,

should be installed after Windows Update Agent ver.7.2.6001.788

Download it :) ~333KB

Hello 'eGo®Z',

I have tried MicrosoftUpdateAgent and it works fine on 32 bit Operating system. However, when running the exe on 64 bit OS, I am facing a problem. The muweb.dll is copied in System32 folder. 64 bit OS requires the dll to be also present in SysWow64 folder. Also WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe is WindowsUpdateAgent30-x64.exe in 64 bit systems.

I praise your efforts in making such a wonderful exe which has solved our problem in shifting to Microsoft Update from Windows update.

It would be very nice if you can help us and provide the download link of the 64 bit equivalent of MicrosoftUpdateAgent.

i've made MicrosoftUpdateAgent ver.7.2.6001.788

it uses the same setup engine like the original WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe and, of course, supports the same setup switches:

MicrosoftUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce /quiet /norestart

supports 24 languages,

should be installed after Windows Update Agent ver.7.2.6001.788

Download it :) ~333KB

Hello 'eGo®Z',

I have tried MicrosoftUpdateAgent and it works fine on 32 bit Operating system. However, when running the exe on 64 bit OS, I am facing a problem. The muweb.dll is copied in System32 folder. 64 bit OS requires the dll to be also present in SysWow64 folder. Also WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe is WindowsUpdateAgent30-x64.exe in 64 bit systems.

I praise your efforts in making such a wonderful exe which has solved our problem in shifting to Microsoft Update from Windows update.

It would be very nice if you can help us and provide the download link of the 64 bit equivalent of MicrosoftUpdateAgent.

@'eGo®Z' , the location for muweb.dll is C:\windows\SysWow64 in 64-Bit OS ,this is the reason we cant execute the exe which you have provided in your post .We will be glad ,if you make a exe for 64-bit OS .If you need any information on this then ,Do let us know .

• Software manufacturers (like Microsoft) release different copies of their programs for Windows XP 64-bit than they do for Windows XP 32-bit. This is likely to impact the tools and scripts I use in this project, as well as the files that should be installed to your Windows XP 64-bit system and where those files should be installed.
  • I have a 100% completely-working, and scripted process. However, it is currently only supports Windows XP 32-bit.
  • While I can at least develop enough to manage this project, I do not have access to Windows XP 64-bit—at all. Thus, Windows XP 64-bit is a huge, unknown blackbox to me.
  • I'm an Atheist and a Scientist—This means I take nothing on faith and I rely solely on repeatable test results. And until somebody is willing to get me some, I cannot and will not help you folks.
  • Most people who ask me for Windows XP 64-bit support are not developers. But even worse, they are seemingly completely unwilling to actually help me do any of the leg work required to help answer some very specific questions. This is really a shame, since what I'm asking for is not development skills, but simply trying some things out, looking up some information, and reporting back to me with the results. If you want something fixed, be part of the solution not part of the problem.

To summarize, I need a lot more answers from you Windows XP 64-bit folks than questions right now. So some of you need to step up and be my hands and eyes, otherwise we are not going to get very far with a working Windows XP 64-bit version of MSDBuild.

At present the problem we are facing is ,We are unable to execute the exe which you have provided on any of the 64-bit version OS .
  2. The MSDBuild.exe runs on 64-bit Windows, but the something produces an error?
  3. The MSDBuild.exe runs on 64-bit Windows, but the resulting output does not work for you (due to things you have mentioned later)?
  4. All the above?
  5. Something else?

You must understand that at this point, I do not even know if the version of 7-Zip I use to create the MSDownloads.exe package even works correctly on Windows XP 64-bit. I also don't know if MSDBuild.exe will unpack itself and even run on Windows XP 64-bit. And nobody seems willing to answer these very simple questions.

The location of muweb.dll varies for 64-BIt edition OS its (c:\windows\SysWow64 ) due to which we are unable to Switch to microsoft update site in 64 bit systems.

This is first useful piece of information anyone using Windows XP 64-bit windows has provided me (but I still need a lot more information). This tells me I at least need to make a version of the .inf file that registers muweb.dll so it installs it to a different folder for 64-bit Windows. Plus it even tells me the folder. (However, I'm certain this is not the only thing that will need to be changed before everything works correctly.)

We have researched and observed that muweb.dll version is same for 32 bit and 64 bit systems.

Since you are not a developer (and since I'm an Atheist Scientist) this is not enough information for me. Having the same version does not necessarily mean it is the same file, or that the file was downloaded from the same URL. So please answer the following questions.

Q:3 What is the MD5 Checksum for the file? (You can Google for free tools that provide this.)

So you are clear what I'm looking for, I've pasted the information for the 32-bit version of muweb.dll below. I want the same pieces of information for an up-to-date 64-bit version of muweb.dll.

Code Base: http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1139406804265

NOTICE: Do you folks see that URL I posted just above? do you see the "x86" string in it? That usually means 32-bit. So I need to know if the Code Base URLs for the ActiveX control files installed on Windows XP 64-bit have a different download URL. It is possible that there are different files for each architecture, even though they may be versioned the same.

Q:7 Also, please export the follow registry key to a .reg file and post it as an attachment.

We wanted to know can you make few modification in your previous exe and change the location of muweb.dll to SysWow64 folder ...We are not developers so its difficult to understand the Script language for us

You need me to make the Windows XP 64-bit version for you. But I need you (or someone) to do the things I ask for on Windows XP 64-bit and answer the questions I've asked. Without the answers to my questions, nothing is going to get done. The more answers I get, the more that will get done.

@ DarkShadow,About MSDBuild.exe we are complely novoice ..Regading MD5 checksum ..Please provide us the Steps for how to detect the checksum.

CODECode Base: http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat...b?1139406804265

Please provide Steps for this

204 KB

Thrusdau ,Oct 16 2008 ,10:12:41 PM

File Version :- 7.2.6001.788

4. All the above?
  5. Something else?

@ DarkShadow,About MSDBuild.exe we are complely novoice ..Regading MD5 checksum ..Please provide us the Steps for how to detect the checksum.

CODECode Base: http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat...b?1139406804265

Please provide Steps for this

204 KB

Thrusdau ,Oct 16 2008 ,10:12:41 PM

File Version :- 7.2.6001.788

Please find the reg file attached herewith ...The location in 64 bit is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Code Store Database

code.reg

Edited by sohail.pendhari

Q:3What is the MD5 Checksum for the file? (You can Google for free tools that provide this.)

=> "E8AF021B2B60BF3E98B2846D4863738A" muweb.dll for the 64 bit machine.

For 64bit machine msbuild.exe is working but muweb.dll file is not stored in the preferd location.

For any further information you can email us at follwoing email ids:-

1)maunish.patel@zenithinfotech.com

2)sohail.pendhari@zenithinfotech.com

Edited by maunish

• 1 month later...

The 'link' to MSDBuild.exe in the ULZ package http://kenalcock.fileave.com/MSDBuild_v55.exe returns Access Denied - Account Disabled.

I've attached a good copy of the file. I highly suggest that you get it and back it up.

Unfortunately this board only allows 200kb attachments with a maximum of 400kb.

I'll break the archive into 200kb parts and upload them in following posts.

MSDBuild.part2.rar

MSDBuild.part1.rar

Edited by Zertam

• 4 weeks later...

Hi DarkShadows, I find very interesting this thread and appreciate the hard work you must have done.

I use a spanish version of XP and was wondering if donwloading the spanish list, will have the problems listed in Issue 02. Languages Other Than English.

Sorry my english!