GUIDE: Download Everything Microsoft (MSDBuild v5.5)

Hi guys,

how does this work on a 64bit system ? Will I have to change everything so it goes to the SysWOW64 folder instead of System32 ? Would it be possible to tell me which parts needs changes ?

Thanks a lot !

Alex

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...

I have just updated the guide to version 3.0, which covers:

• Windows XP SP2 with IE6
  • Windows XP SP2 with IE7
  • Windows XP SP3 with IE6
  • Windows XP SP3 with IE7

Please re-read the first post, especially the version history.

-DS

If someone could test everything and post back, that would be helpful. B)

I have just updated the guide to version 3.0, which covers:
  • Windows XP SP2 with IE6
  • Windows XP SP2 with IE7
  • Windows XP SP3 with IE6
  • Windows XP SP3 with IE7

Please re-read the first post, especially the version history.

-DS

If someone could test everything and post back, that would be helpful. B)

Which part is the new part? I don't see any dates.

These reg entries are so you wont get any activex popups, dunno if you have them in your INF's already

; Remove Microsoft Update ActiveX Prompt for IE7
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3}\iexplore","Flags",0x10001,4
; Remove Microsoft Update Catalog ActiveX Prompt for IE7
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{5AE58FCF-6F6A-49B2-B064-02492C66E3F4}\iexplore","Flags",0x10001,4
; Remove Office Update ActiveX Prompt for IE7
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{05CA9FB0-3E3E-4B36-BF41-0E3A5CAA8CD8}\iexplore","Flags",0x10001,4
; Remove Office Update Engine ActiveX Prompt for IE7
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{C7DB51B4-BCF7-4923-8874-7F1A0DC92277}\iexplore","Flags",0x10001,4

Edited by ricktendo64

Which part is the new part? I don't see any dates.

@COKEDUDEUSF

Bascially, the whole guide has been updated. Read the Version History section for specific changes added in v3.0. Also the download files are handled completely differently now.

These reg entries are so you wont get any activex popups, dunno if you have them in your INF's already

@ricktendo64

Awesome, thanks man! :thumbup No, I do not have those registry settings. I couldn't find them with RegSnap for some reason. I will add these to my Inst*.inf files. I also saw you posted on Wincert Forums how to remove a shortcut from the Start Menu (i.e. directly under Start Menu). I will modify InstMUWC.inf so that it removes the Windows Update shortcut, since installing that Microsoft Update Web Control renders the Windows Update shortcut a poorly named shortcut to Microsoft Update.

@everyone

For now, just read the new guide. But I suggest waiting until I: add the contrbutions from ricktendo64, test them, and post updated versions of MSDownloads.ulz and MSDBuild.exe after testing completes successfully.

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3}\iexplore","Flags",0x10001,4
; Remove Microsoft Update Catalog ActiveX Prompt for IE7
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{5AE58FCF-6F6A-49B2-B064-02492C66E3F4}\iexplore","Flags",0x10001,4
; Remove Office Update ActiveX Prompt for IE7
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{05CA9FB0-3E3E-4B36-BF41-0E3A5CAA8CD8}\iexplore","Flags",0x10001,4
; Remove Office Update Engine ActiveX Prompt for IE7
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{C7DB51B4-BCF7-4923-8874-7F1A0DC92277}\iexplore","Flags",0x10001,4

@ricktendo64

Do you happen to know the CLSID of Windows Update Web Control? I know most people will install Microsoft Update ActiveX, but I would still like InstWUWC.inf to be complete.

I just updated the guide to v3.1. All changes discussed in the previous four posts have been fully tested and added. Re-download MSDownloads.ulz and all MSDownloads files in Windows Updates Downloader and recreate MSDownloads.exe.

-DS

Yea I think they both use the same one, its only for legitcheck to run

Edit: No I see now its seperate

HKCR
{
SoftwareDistribution.MicrosoftUpdateWebControl.1 = s 'MUWebControl Class'
{
CLSID = s '{6e32070a-766d-4ee6-879c-dc1fa91d2fc3}'

Edited by ricktendo64

@ricktendo64

Except for their [strings] section, each of of my Inst*.inf files, are nearly identical. In the [strings] section of each file I already defined a CLSID string appropriate for each ActiveX control. So I just simply added the same line below to each .inf file's [Product.Reg] section:

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\%CLSID%\iexplore","Flags",0x10001,4

It was a simple thing to add, once I knew the registry setting. Two minutes to change code, two hours to: test, update the documentation, and host new files.

You da man DarkShadows.

Just a heads-up though. It looks like your inf for the Office Update Engine is still referencing 12,0,5561,1000 and not 12,0,5572,1000

Thanks and nice catch.

MSDownloads.exe will actually install the latest version (since you actually download 12,0,5572,1000), but my .inf is setting the version and date registry information incorrectly, as if the files were from the previous version of the .cab. It looks like I forgot a little housekeeping here. :blushing: This is of very minor consequence and nothing to worry about really. Still, I'll update MSDBuild.exe in a day or so. I'm currently looking into including 7-Zip command line executables with MSDBuild.exe so people don't have to download and install WinRar first. This should result in a slightly smaller MSDownloads.exe as well.

Hi.

Not sure what i am doing wrong but i have followed the guide but nothing gets installed :(

The only one which i can see is KB941569 and when i go to windows update i still have to install WGA.

None of the Active X gets installed nor does the shortcuts get created. I have Windows XP Corp SP3

Edited by Worf