GUIDE: Download Everything Microsoft (MSDBuild v5.5)

@midiboy

The current Guide is not intended for Vista at all. But I'm glad to see that someone tried anyway. It will be months before I start playing with unattended Vista.

The ActiveX controls get updated periodically to new versions, but my documented process to obtain them should not have changed (hopefully).

@Kilyin

If you encountered an issue with WGA using my guide, and you have already resolved it, then please Post or PM me what you needed to do differently for the most recent WGA to work. I will update the guide accordingly. It should still be the same download process to acquire WGA, unless M$ changed it again.

@orestes

Theoretically, for SP3 you would follow my guide soup-to-nuts after slipstreaming SP3 into your XPCD source. However, I'm certain that several of the requirement KB updates listed in my guide are now included in SP3, so you no longer need to integrate those. I will be integrating SP3 this week and updating the guide afterward accordingly. I will maintain requirements for both SP2 and SP3.

My own process is:

• Copy XPCD Source (SP0 or SP1a)
  • Slipstream SP2 (which would now become SP3)
  • Slipstream Windows Media Player 11 (I use Boooggy's WMP11 Slipstreamer)
  • Integrate all other Windows Updates
  • Add other selected Microsoft and Windows Software installations to SVCPack.inf <--- This is where my guide comes in
  • Add things to Cmdlines.txt
  • Add things to RunOnceEx

Yes, you can use the same compression settings for creating MSDownloads.exe and WindowsUpdateAgent.exe. Scroll up a few posts, you will see I recommend saving a WinRar profile and re-using it for each SFX you create. (I use those same settings for all my SFX installs). The only difference between each SFX are:

1. The source files selected
  2. The file executed for each SFX.
  3. The SFX description information.

This is why I included my comment files in the guide, I've done the other work for you. You can use the same WinRar profile and just paste the correct comment in. Maybe I'll include this in the next Guide version since I've typed up most of it already.

@Everyone

I've been away for awhile, but I can now work a little on updating this guide. Here's the situation, v2.5 of the guide was written exclusively for Windows XP SP2 with IE6. I know there are some issues when you install IE7 (you get prompted to re-download many of the ActiveX controls). Nothing about this guide was ever intended for Windows Vista, however some things may be adaptable to Vista (Vista already has many of the XP requirements built-in). So for now, I'm not going to focus on Vista at all. But here is what I will focus on for the next version of the Guide:

1. Windows XP SP2 with IE6 - Some ActiveX controls have changed.
  2. Windows XP SP2 with IE7 - Same as A, but some ActiveX controls are different for IE7
  3. Windows XP SP3 with IE6 - Same as A, but some requirements are now built into SP3
  4. Windows XP SP3 with IE7 - Same as C, but some ActiveX controls are different for IE7

If anyone has used my guide with IE7 (and presumably made some changes) with any success, please PM me. I haven't even started doing Vista unattended installs yet, so such guide is a long way off (from me at least).

What I did - I downloaded the new WGA (KB892130) through Windows update, I was unable to find a standalone download for it. So I went in the C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\downloads folder and created an SFX archive out of the KB892130 folder (which was named a49d784415582d2f98c84ceb0a75d898) with the command "update\update.exe /q /o /n /z" to be run after extraction and added it to SVCPACK.inf.

Was the only way I could find to make it work.

Edited by Kilyin

What I did - I downloaded the new WGA (KB892130) through Windows update, I was unable to find a standalone download for it. So I went in the C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\downloads folder and created an SFX archive out of the KB892130 folder (which was named a49d784415582d2f98c84ceb0a75d898) with the command "update\update.exe /q /o /n /z" to be run after extraction and added it to SVCPACK.inf.

here

Wga

here

Wga

One of the first things I tried. Unfortunatly, didn't work.

i really want to know which is the best way to slipstream packs or updates into winxp source...

using /integrate or 3rd party like nlite?

is there any differences like might be missing some files while slipstreaming or not fully updating to the latest built files...

i have winxp sp0 cd ... service pack 3.. win media player 11 setup .. ie7 + cumulative hotfix 1file .. + sata driver ..

now the slipping part...

not using nlite

1st i /integrate sp3 into xp

then i use wmp11 integrator by jean-sebastian carle *not booogy's* because it's direct and dont have too many options to choose.. just choose the wmp11, winxp source, click integrate.. that's all..

now im opening nlite

slipstream ie7+hotfix and also include the sata driver.. make a boot cd...

this is just one or several ways i tried to make the best winxp sp3 cd that can be... but still, something felt missing... and also, sometimes the final image to burn is different makes me wonder, what other files that might integrated into winxp source using different method .. and will it result error if i just ignore this... because, if it slipstreamed then all the files should be there right? so why with the different imagesize?

and include this windows update and office update into the source, can be done at last stage .. just manually copy the windowsupdate.exe and msdownload.exe into svcpack and write the necessary into svcpack.inf .. and burn the image for boot...

so... am i missing something? cant seem to have that clean, smooth winxp sp3 cd... *sigh*

@orestes

Your last post is really starting to get off topic for this thread. You should repost that as a general question to this forum. Please keep this thread on-topic, which is limited to the items discussed in my first post.

• 2 weeks later...

I have completed the process but I had one question. Since I am using XP SP3 Professional, do I still need to integrate the KB905474 (WGAN) or is it added with SP3?

I have been watching this thread with interest and have followed all the instructions on page 1. Currently i am testing with Windows XP Pro SP3 (integrated) and IE (installing from SVCPACK with Hotfixes etc).

What i have found to date is that most of the information in the guide will not work with WinXPSP3 and IE7. The WGA section will not work and the solution as some of the other clever people here have communicated is to download the WGA activeX part on a clean machines and then go to the %windir%\SoftwareDistribution folder and pull the updates out from there and either and make a SFX installer. I have done this and works 100% everytime. (it's attached if anyone would like it - i haven't changed anything other than simply packing it) Other than that i haven't had any other success in trying to get the rest of the components completely working. I have had the MU shortcut installed and the DataStore.edb file install and work correctly as discussed, as well as the MU Catalogue. The problems i haven't been able to solve is the prompts when you go to the MU site for addtional installation etc...

Look forward to more information from all that are testing and working with the guide.

Hope my little bit of input is helpful.

Cheers,

Felix

WGA-KB892130-X86.rar

RapidShare WGA-KB892130-X86.rar

Edited by `Felix`

I have been watching this thread with interest and have followed all the instructions on page 1. Currently i am testing with Windows XP Pro SP3 (integrated) and IE (installing from SVCPACK with Hotfixes etc).

Hope my little bit of input is helpful.

Cheers,

Felix

Hi,

Here is the original link (official executable file) for "KB892130 - Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool v1.7.69.2":

http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/crup/2008/04/windowsxp-kb892130-enu-x86_72e487d115be77f49f64053893a23ecb58bc59cb.exe

File: windowsxp-kb892130-enu-x86.exe

Version: 1.7.69.2 (v1.7.0069.2)

Date: 16/april/2008 - 02:23:22 AM

Size: 1,07 MB (1.131.560 bytes)

CRC32: DB3F4299

MD5: 17AC547BD8B2D42770EC4CC766A6BA3B

SHA1: 72E487D115BE77F49F64053893A23ECB58BC59CB

It installs in all languages versions of Windows XP.

Best wishes, :)

Anderton.

I can't even install KB905474 (Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications)

WGANOT~1.EXE cannot be integrated and raises an error when trying just install it under SP3:

Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of this system

is newer than the update you are applying.

There is no need to install this update.

I think there should be a special SP3 version of Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications standalone because I just downloaded version 1.7.0018.7 from HERE.

Also I made my MSDownloads.exe with all files mentioned here and it installs. But updater (IE7) still want to install ActiveX plugins and WGA.

And my DataStore.edb is 8mb is it normal? I deleted it and run update and it grew to 8mb again :(

Is it even possible to make this work on SP3 Pro VLK with IE7?

Also, what are all the files that should be inside the SFX? I keep getting an error that says Windows cannot find WUsetup.exe.

Hi,

Here is the original link (official executable file) for "KB892130 - Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool v1.7.69.2":

http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/crup/2008/04/windowsxp-kb892130-enu-x86_72e487d115be77f49f64053893a23ecb58bc59cb.exe

File: windowsxp-kb892130-enu-x86.exe

Version: 1.7.69.2 (v1.7.0069.2)

Date: 16/april/2008 - 02:23:22 AM

Size: 1,07 MB (1.131.560 bytes)

CRC32: DB3F4299

MD5: 17AC547BD8B2D42770EC4CC766A6BA3B

SHA1: 72E487D115BE77F49F64053893A23ECB58BC59CB

It installs in all languages versions of Windows XP.

Best wishes, :)

Anderton.

Excellent Stuff - i couldn't find it so i just made my own - i notice that mine has all the same files so thats good :D

Where did you find the reference to the URL for this? And have you found the references for the latest webcontrol updates etc?

Hello Felix,

I found the link for that file here:

C:\WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.log

References:

KB905474 - Download, Windows Genuine Advantage Notification

If your language isn't shown, simply let Windows Update install the update. Then search for "KB905474" inside WindowsUpdate.log (in the WINDOWS folder) and post the link in this thread.

GreenMachine's Complete SP3 SVCPACK.INF, All the updates installed at T-13

This list of updates and hotfixes are those I have determined to be necessary to show Zero Updates needed, High Priority or Recommended, in Windows Update. One major obstacle is finding the hotfixes. I use a combination of standard hotfix downloads from Microsoft, inspection of WindowsUpdate.log for update URLs, and NirSoft's SmartSniff to detect from where the hotfixes are downloaded.

By the way, I don't know what is "webcontrol updates".

In any case, maybe you could look at this site (maintained by "Tomcat76") and try to find something useful information about "webcontrol updates":

Current Windows XP SP2 updates

Best regards,

Anderton.