Is this PC any good?

DarkCloud

OK, my aunt just bought me a new PC out of nowhere. I guess you could say it was "spur of the moment" type thing. I haven't opened the package yet as I'm kind of debating whether or not this system is any good. The PC was bought at Costco, it's almost identical to the one my aunt has, and to be honest I really don't like some of the things about it.

Here's the link to my new PC.

Here's the link to my aunts PC.

The keyboard is the smallest keyboard I've ever used, I really don't like it's layout. The keys all seem to be jam packed together, it just feels like a cheaply made keyboard. My only concern is the integrated sound card that came with mine. I can't remember if integrated is good or bad. I bought a new sound blaster card for my older PC not too long ago that supports 2.1 channels. I really like that card, it sounds great and has many audio enhancements that work in real time, and I would hate if I wouldn't be able to swap that for use in my new PC due to the integrated option.

Can somone confirm if integrated is good or not? What about the graphics card? Will that be good for gaming? A fast response would be greatly appreciated, if I don't like the new system I'd rather return it for something better. Thanks in advance.

I can't really see why you're hesitating to use this. Have you never heard of "Never look a gift horse in the mouth"? Specs look fine to me. :thumbup

LOL thanks. Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking either. It's a great system, very fast and easy to use. I haven't had an upgrade in years (full upgrade) so this will be a nice change. BTW, is it onboard sound thats bad and not integrated?

The only issue I would have with integrated components is that you might have to replace the entire motherboard at some point. According to the specs you only have 1 spare PCI slot for a replacement video or sound or network card. Other than that, there's no reason not to start to use this machine. :w00t:

The only issue I would have with integrated components is that you might have to replace the entire motherboard at some point. According to the specs you only have 1 spare PCI slot for a replacement video or sound or network card. Other than that, there's no reason not to start to use this machine. :w00t:

Well that's good to hear. Looks like I'll just install my previous sound card. :)

BTW, why are most store bought/online PCs coming with everything integrated/onboard? Kinda sucks...even my old age PC and PCs of the past, didn't seem to have that many onboard components.

I agree... integrated stuff sucks. Unfortunately, my computer has integrated graphics. It's awful. A lot of games simply can't play. :( Fortunately, Dell is moving towards having Nvidia 8400M GS, 128 Mbs as their "base" card for laptops, so most of them come with dedicated graphics now. Too late for me though. :rolleyes:

Edited by Idontwantspam