Terminal Services disabling/removal

heffalump

Can some registry/windows wizard help me out with this please? I'd like to disable/remove Terminal Services completely but disabling it in services seems to cause Securtity Center to no longer provide a graphic alert if firewall/antivirus is turned off. It also causes some COM error to be displayed in Event Log.

I was wondering if someone knows how to remove/disable it cleanly without it impacting other services? Must be some dependencies or source stuff in registry but I don't know what to look for! Thanks!

The fast user switching functionality in Windows XP relies on this service, so if you disable this service, the fast user switching functionality will not work anymore and might produce errors. Terminal Services is required for the use of remote desktop and such as well. If you want to disable Terminal Services, simply disable it via services.msc. I don't believe that it should cause any errors besides the fast user switching perhaps.

Hi thanks for the help. I disabled Fast User Switching (don't need it for this particular computer I'm working on) and Remote Desktop. Not getting Event Log errors anymore :)

The only downside seems to be Terminal Services is linked to Security Center somehow. The latter no longer shows any alert if the Firewall/Antivirus is disabled or turned off. Security Center seems to start and run ok in services but no longer gives any alerts with TS disabled. Well I can live with that I suppose, just wondering where the link might be.

Paste the following into Notepad, save it as UNTERMDD.REG, import the file into RegEdit, then reboot your system.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server]
"TSEnabled"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TermDD]
"Start"=dword:00000004

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TermService]
"Start"=dword:00000004