DesktopProcess and SeperateProcess

Typewriter

I found a post in the unattended forum about some registry tweaks and was all like: "wow, this could be usefull".

But when I started digging in the reg files that was provided, most of the performance tweaks were already set in a clean install of Windows XP SP2 + Windows Updated.

But I came across two keys, namely DesktopProcess and SeperateProcess. Searched Tech-Net, but found only info on DesktopProcess, and that it was only for Windows 2000.

So my question is this: Are those keys totally irrelevant in terms of performance gains in todays Windows XP? (Noting that I'm not using other shells to replace explorer.)

Thanks in advance.

So my question is this: Are those keys totally irrelevant in terms of performance gains in todays Windows XP? (Noting that I'm not using other shells to replace explorer.)

You won't gain any performance, you might actually lose some, but on nowadays systems that won't be noticable. But lets not make it technical. The advantage of running certain applications in a separate process is that if one process crashes, the other ones keep running. It can best be explain with an example: if you run three instances of Internet Explorer and one crashes, they'll all go down. If you run each of them in a separate process, only the one which crashes will go down.

; LAUNCH DESKTOP IN SEPARATE PROCESS
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
"DesktopProcess"=dword:00000001

; LAUNCH FOLDER WINDOWS IN SEPARATE PROCESS
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"SeparateProcess"=dword:00000001

; LAUNCH BROWSER IN SEPARATE PROCESS
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BrowseNewProcess]
"BrowseNewProcess"="Yes"