Medialess License Kit

j7n

I've received a legal OEM Office 2007 license today with the PC I bought for my company. Since it's a business entity everything has to be legal (up to getting used to the 2007's new interface). I didn't bother checking what MLK means before the purchase. To a great surprise there was no disk in the Office 2k7 DVD case. In fact I do not need to stockpile these discs and it would be great to reduce cost and purchase a printed key only. But isn't it utterly stupid to ship a case with no CD inside? Pressed CDs are very cheap, even an OEM mouse today ships with a disk.

I am currently downloading a "backup disc". I also have Volume License Key disks. Could the full Office 2007 be installed and partially activated with the OEM key making "backup disks" unnecessary?

Backup disk downloads are available for 30 days after purchase and 7 download attempts are allowed. I do not know if they actually check somehow.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/backup/en-us/default.mspx

Edit: Office Basic installed properly using the first disc. Discs come as self extracting cabinets and don't work if manually unpacked.

Edited by j7n

• 3 weeks later...

That is not the direct link. It depends on a cookie set by M$ server, joined with the product key.

Follow rather this general link: http://www.microsoft.com/office/backup/ and follow the instructions as if you are to purchase the disks. On the page with personal info (address, name, etc.) is YOUR OWN link to download page. There you have 7 attempts to download.

Enjoy!

You are right about that, without the cookie you're just redirected to the first page and must enter your Serial. At first I didn't bother to edit my post.

The actual EXE download link also looks pretty "secure". But why this crap? The OEM installer is no good for piracy.