mate bult pc but got probs

pauluk83

Hey all my mate has built himself a new pc, but it has problems

basically i would turn on for a few seconds and then turn off

all the fans and lights worked but there was no post beeb. ( mainly because by the time it would got to that biit the pc would turn off

the specs are:

• AMD ATHLON 64 X2 6400+ 3.2GHZ WOF
  • XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB DDR3 Graphics Card
  • ThermalTake Toughpower Series Cable Management 1200W
  • Microsoft Windows Vista: Ultimate Edition (DVD)
  • Coolermaster Mars (RR-CCX-W9U1-GP) AMD & Intel
  • 2x western dig 320gb sata hard drives
  • Sony Floppy Drive, 3,5" 1,44MB Black, Internal
  • OCZ / 4GB DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz / Vista Upgrade / Copper XTC Memory
  • Hewlett Packard DVD1040i-B 20x Internal IDE Lightscribe DVDRW Drive With Nero Software / Black
  • EVGA nForce 590 SLI AM2 / Socket AM2 / SLI / ATX Motherboard

so my questain is are the parts all compatable? he said he pulled most of the specs from the alianware website and just changed the hdd and dvd drive

Edited by pauluk83

I would say your BIOS is not up to date and doesn’t "see" the CPU right.

Also the RAM would be the first thing I would swap to see if that works.

A bit late to post here now, he could have had a working system if he had... can he take back some parts for full refund? (RAM and mobo that is.)

hi thanks for your reply.

we dont have a system availible to check the ram as it runs at differant speed to the configs that we currently have,

i have asked him to stip the pc to basics , MB, RAM, CPU, but the problem still happens

he tells me that he is sending the psu back for an exchange. failing that being faulty i think he said somethhing about returning the ram and getting something differant.

If you bought it in a local shop, you could return all and get back with a working system ;) (e.g. RAM, CPU and mobo, and return with the same CPU with a compatible mobo and RAM).

There are way newer chipsets then the aging nVidia 590, look at the newer chipsets like the 760FX. Gigabyte MA790FX-DS4 and DS5 are outstanding boards. Only thing you can’t use is SLI, but crossfire you can (ATI).

Also the video card is going to be replaced soon by the new GTS, even the 8800GT kick’s *ss with the "older" GTS.

but he got the parts from online as there alot cheaper

Auch.. So much for "cheaper"... Now he’s sitting there with a bunch of over priced stuff that doesn’t work. I wonder, pay 10% more and have a working system or being in a situation like this...

I know what I would do next time… (No!, no pre-build system from *cough*Dell, HP*cough* any OEM :P).