[Guide] WinSxS Dupe removel

aviv00

• 3 weeks later...

After following this guide I wasn't able to access VMware Tools anymore. Clicking twice on the tray icon didn't bring it up. No error messages were shown either.

Running: VMware Workstation 6.0.3

Guest OS: Windows Vista Ultimate (32bit)

• 1 month later...

i updated the guide

i test it and its wasnt good the system wont load up

cos the backup and Manifests dirs

but now its update-able but need to save the backup files of Iexplorer too to make it perfect

i checked how much space its save

32bit 800mb [ my windows dir is 1.6giga]

64bit 1600mb [ didnt test it cos dont have VT so i guess the install size would be 3giga from 4.4giga ofc my settings]

im not sure if its recommand to do on wim file cos there a files that wont delete [system use them]

the best is do updating and then remove them [so u wont need to guess what the backup files of Iexplorer ]

check picture to more info

post-133794-1212331661_thumb.png

Edited by aviv00

• 2 months later...

I tried the scripts to give admin rights but the deletion step still did not work (very good instructions on this thread - the scripts run perfectly) - the OS still denies access to the directories. And 'whereisit' is a very useful product, I'll use it more than windows search (which whether you have indexing switched on or off is a woefull component of this lame operating system). Various people on this thread have warned that certain updates and hotfixes may not work, this doesn't seem to be a serious threat to me as windows update seem to only work 50% of the time anyway. As one person has already commented, it's already broken so we aren't going to make it any worse. It took me 3 attempts to get SP1 to load for example. As before on this thread, the spirit of having all versions of DLL's and other unique files for applications has some merit, but why do I need 5 copies of the games? And why protect all 5 copies of the games and prevent deletion? Besides, I have original disks for everything so worst case I can reload it all anyway....

As this is the performance and maintenance forum, is there anyone out there writing a clean up utility for this directory? I'd help fund it as a piece of shareware!

I'm seriously considering regressing back to XP.....

here a forum that u could say it

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/showpo...4&siteid=17

and about the updates use WUD to get those updates

integrate them with vlite or waik [ duno if vlite integrate then with "Permanent" performance ]

to save space

the OS still denies access

as i remember 32bit os wont let u delete around 20mb or more but really not that much!

and vlite could delete winsxs efficiently in extreme mode

• 7 months later...

Ok. I have solved the problem. I have completely given up on Vista and upgraded (and yes, the word is upgraded) to XP. My Dell XPS is now a fabulous, fast and easy to use machine. Can't understand why Dell recommends Vista, their kit is sooo much better without the additional burden. All my software now works again, I've got back 40Gb of disk space (30% of my hard drice capacity). I recommend this solution, if I had done this when I first had the problem I would have saved a week of my life trying to fix the Vista problems. After my initial post in August last year, I put my 'problem' machine aside while I tried to fix it and used an old machine, it finally had a hard disk crash last week, forcing me to do something about the Vista machine.

Don't hesitate, just get out your copy of XP and do it!

• 1 month later...
The process mentioned above might cause serious system issues. You might want to try the following procedure instead:

http://windowsfixup.com/2009/05/winsxs-fol...disk-space-fix/

Agreed, this tool was able to delete 600 MB in my winsxs reducing a vlited 7 RC installation to a fantastic 3.2 GB !

64bit ?

i did 3.2gb too with 32bit but not with the tool

btw the guide is meant to be post-install

Edited by aviv00

The process mentioned above might cause serious system issues. You might want to try the following procedure instead:

http://windowsfixup.com/2009/05/winsxs-fol...disk-space-fix/

Agreed, this tool was able to delete 600 MB in my winsxs reducing a vlited 7 RC installation to a fantastic 3.2 GB !

64bit ?

i did 3.2gb too with 32bit but not with the tool

btw the guide is meant to be post-install

64bit ultimate.

Vlited with this conf.

Removed hiberfil and pagefile.

Then used winsxslite.

I think I used your guide but made the system instable.

No problem with this tool AFAIK.

I think this is the slimmest installed size I know.

BTW if someone knows how to remove other components (IE, firewall, update) please let me know.

7RC.ini