No access to Backup Partition

Greenhorn

Hi,

my friend got a HP Notebook with a preinnstalled Windows Vista.

There was no Vista DVD in the package, but anyway ...

My problem is, that I can't get acces to the Backup/Restore Partition.

I've changed the folder options to show all files, folders ans systemfiles,

but nothing solved my problem.

I'm not so familiar with Vista, so I don't know how to crack the nut ...

Is somebody able to help me, please ?

Greetz

Greenhorn

OEM Recovery Partitions are typically not accessable from Windows, although you may be able to see them from Disk Management. They are set up so that you hit a key or a series of keys during boot up to trigger the system recovery.

What is it you are trying to do? HP may have an option during their recovery to keep your files (but not your settings) otherwise you will lose all the data on the C drive. You aren't likely going to be able to pick and choose which files you want out of there. Mostly because Recovery partitions aren't in a disk format that Windows can read.

If the computer is fairly new, you should be calling HP especially if you still get the free tech support. The reason being is that you could just randomly do something from what people say online, and what if you goof it up? Well HP could decide to not respect your product warranty if there is one.

Thanx a lot Tripredacus,

the notebook is a gift from his brother living in Portugal and so the preinstalled Vista is in portuguese.

But my fellow is yet too long here in germany and don't understand what Vista want to say in portuguese ... :rolleyes:;)

So I had the idea to install Vista new in a german version but with the delivered HP Software.

But if I can't extract the Programfiles from the Recovery partition I have to do it without the applications ...

Greetz

Greenhorn

Usually foreign versions of Windows are total conversions. You have limited ability to change the wording in the OS, but text on dialogue boxes such as System Properties for example, will still be in the original text. You'd be better off installing a new OS. It just means you'll have a German Windows on there but have the ability to restore the Portugese version. :sneaky:

I will do it like you wrote, my friend -> installing vista new from a german DVD.

I also hope that the Productkey on the label will be accepted from M$ ...

Maybe I should try it with Knoppix to get access to the partition.

In case it works I can find and copy the programs which are enclosed ...

Greetz

Edited by Greenhorn