Project: Driverforge

wixfigura

DRIVERFORGE

Maybe you know the problem: you have a PC with a missing driver and you dont like to search the net for the right one. So - thats the solution.

Driverforge searches automatically the driver you need and installs it.

Driverforge is a frontend for SPDrvScn + Driverpacks and brings this 2 things together.

RUNNING THE PROGRAM

First download the drivers from Driverpacks.net. If You have driverpacks already integrated into your Windows CD, you can put Driverforge everywhere you like on your CD, it will recognize the OEM (driver) folder automatically.

When the program starts, it automatically finds what compressed Driverpacks you have in your Driverpacks folder and auto selects them all. You can put more Driverpacks in the DriverPacks folder and hit the "All" button to refresh, as it were, to get the updated list.

You can click the "None" button to deselect all DriverPacks. And then select only the ones you want.

Clicking the "Change" button on the "Compressed Driver Location" will bring up a message box asking you if your using compressed drivers. Clicking no will change the 7zLoc or Compressed Location to UnCompressed.

Clicking the "Change" button on the "Drivers Extraction Location" or "UnCompressed Drivers Location" will change where the compressed files will be extracted to or where the already uncompressed DriverPacks are located.

If you put driverforge on a removable drive, name the directory with the compressed drivers inside "OEM".

Once the drivers are done installing you can choose to delete the uncompressed DriverPacks location.

If you want to integrate your own drivers (3rd-party), the 7zip file has to begin with "DP3...". Maybe "DP3rd.7z" or "DP_3" like "DP_3rd.7z". >Here< is the tutorial, how to integrate your own drivers.

THE INI FILE

The INI file is named driverforge.ini which will get automatically created if one is not manually created.

[Driver]

DriverExtract=

7zLoc=

DriverExtract - The location of the uncompressed drivers location or the location that the Driverpacks will be extracted to. If you leave it blank it will default to C:\Drivers. Make sure to put the full path.

DriverExtract variables X:\Drivers (or any other fully usable folder path location), Blank

7zLoc - The location of the compressed DriverPacks. If you set this to UnCompressed it will tell the program that you are using UnCompressed Drivers. If you leave it blank it will default to UnCompressed. If there is a folder called OEM in the same folder that the DriverForge is being run from it will select that location ONLY if you have not specified a directory or if you've set OEM in the driverforge.ini.

7zLoc variables UNCOMPRESSED, OEM, X:\DriverPack7z (or any other fully usable folder path location), Blank

PICS

post-77938-1198802713_thumb.gif post-77938-1198802721_thumb.gif

post-77938-1198802729_thumb.gif post-77938-1198802739_thumb.gif

post-77938-1198802748_thumb.gif

DOWNLOAD

Updated on Dec.28.2007 to Version 1.0 :xxxx

THE PROJECT IS STILL OPEN: NOW HERE MODERATED BY KICKARSE !!!!

>>>Driverforge uses SPDrvScn from Vernalex and Driverpacks from Driverpacks.net. Thanks for your work!<<<

Edited by wixfigura

I see you adapted my batch script way of doing this post imaging on this forum and the driverpacks.net forums. :thumbup

But why didn't you just let 7z extract all files to C:\D ? Just makes it so much easier! Then you don't have to worry about the moving them around. It'd also be good to have an INI file to define the location of the 7z files instead of OEM. Also let the ini file allow you to set what packs to extract and install. As well as an automated setting.

@kickarse

Yeah - your script was the idea. The name changing is just a cosmetic thing, for those, who want to leave the driver directory on their HDD.

An .ini file for configuration would be a good idea. But I´m not "KingAutoit" and its hard for me to find the desired solution.

If there are more suggestions, I´ll extend the prog. Help with Autoit is well seen.

@nunobrito

it works in a Boot-CD only if you have a HDD c: available. Otherwise the drivers cannot be extracted.

Ahhh, cool! I updated and change some stuff... Working on the ini section now. I was trying to get it to see what driverpacks were there and only create those check boxes. But, alas, it's late and I'm tuckered out.

Edited by kickarse

@kickarse

Yep -not bad!

Had the same idea about recognizing the unrenamed DP_...7z files. Variabele checkboxes ara also a good idea. I didnt tink about people that are not using the full package.

The ini should not have too much entries. Im no friend of editing inis. Most people are not good in computing and something like editing an ini file isnt possible for them. Best is a readytostart config (like mine) if theres no ini found.

The ini entrys should be files path with variables for removable drives, extraction path and auto/manual mode.

Or do you have a good idea to add another ini entry? I will post you my mail address, so you can send me your work.

@kickarse

Yep -not bad!

Had the same idea about recognizing the unrenamed DP_...7z files. Variabele checkboxes ara also a good idea. I didnt tink about people that are not using the full package.

The ini should not have too much entries. Im no friend of editing inis. Most people are not good in computing and something like editing an ini file isnt possible for them. Best is a readytostart config (like mine) if theres no ini found.

The ini entrys should be files path with variables for removable drives, extraction path and auto/manual mode.

Or do you have a good idea to add another ini entry? I will post you my mail address, so you can send me your work.

Yeah I'll be in touch... ;)

I have some experience in AutoIT and I could help you if needed. This kind of program would be very nice.

What it needs:

- Logging

- Better progres bar

It didn't work in my Finnish Windows XP at all. I know that I don't have the recent drivers in my laptop, but nothing was changed or downloaded to the Drivers directory. I could help you solve the problems if I would have the source.

Also the "Select All" button didn't work at all.

Edited by geezery

@geezery

As extraction path you need a directory with no spaces in its name. maybe: c:/drivers. the desktop directory maybe is a problem cause its real name is something like: "C:\Dokuments and settings\Administrator\Desktop".

I am working on it!

If you want to edit it: simply convert it to au3.

Edited by wixfigura

@herc2k

This time - no. But maybe in a coming version. Unpacked, the full driverpackets are 5-10 time bigger as they are 7zipped. So you will never get it on a CD. But I do not think it really saves time if the drivers are uncompressed on a CD. If it is decompressed to HDD reading/searching will be much faster than from CD.

Anyway - sure it is much faster than it takes to search a full driverset in the internet! And you have nothing to do! Drink a coffee, earn money, sleep, call your friends. Everything else than boring searching drivers.

first of all congratulation for ur program works great on my pc and i will test it tomorrow again on other pcs, in my job i need to install drivers fast on many pcs so i need it as fast as it can be. i personally dont care about fitting it on a cd because i use my 4gb usb stick. speed is all i care . in future versions i would love to see this programs works without the need for decompressing.

and again thanks for this program.

UPDATE! If you do not choose a folder for the compressed 7z files, hitting cancel, and select an extract folder, or a folder where the drivers have already been extracted, then it will install the drivers from that location. :thumbup

Edited by kickarse