vLite 1.1 beta 2 reduces size but not enough

dchard

Hi!

The title is need some explanation, here it is:

Using Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit edition, and using latest vLite to optimize.

1. I checked Skip product key, and the regional settings on Regional panel, and to skip user creation and admin password, but the installer still asks for regional options at the beginging of install, and still asks for user creation. Skipping activation and serial number was fine.

2. I strip out the most part of Vista Ultimate, probably the 90% of the options in vLite (like Aero, languages, games, IE, the drivers fully, windows desktop manager, and alot mor stuff). The original windows iso is 3300MB, the finetuned iso is now approx. 2500MB.

After the install finsihed (without any error) the beautiful Aero surface load up, and the Desktop window manager runs also (these are removed with vLite before the image created). The total Vista install with vLite optimized edition is 7,2GB, far much then I excepted after how many things I removed.

Please tell me what am I doing wrong, or what to do. (yes I used Aplly & rebuild before I start the image writing).

This is a pre-activated and no-sreial edition, but I think for most important part (2.) this is not the problem.

If somebody can hardly confirm, that the problem is that this is a hacked version, i am now downloading my legal copy of Vista business via MSDNAA, and I can try vLite with that tomorrow.

Anyway this is a great tool, so thank you for this!

Dchard

Edited by dchard

Yes the unattended issues are all from that preactivated version. Please lets not talk about it, it's forbidden.

Attach your preset and I'll check what you removed, judging from the Windows size you basically didn't remove anything, maybe 100MB max.

Min Windows folder is below 2GB. ISO down to around 500MB. With all removed that is, but then again there are some big components like Languages, Natural Language, Media Center, Sample media and such which when removed it should be significantly smaller without loosing any commonly used functionality (if you don't use Media Center for example).

Yes the unattended issues are all from that preactivated version. Please lets not talk about it, it's forbidden.

Attach your preset and I'll check what you removed, judging from the Windows size you basically didn't remove anything, maybe 100MB max.

Min Windows folder is below 2GB. ISO down to around 500MB. With all removed that is, but then again there are some big components like Languages, Natural Language, Media Center, Sample media and such which when removed it should be significantly smaller without loosing any commonly used functionality (if you don't use Media Center for example).

Okey, I check it tomorrow with my legal copy.

A question about that: if I use this legal MSDNAA version of Vista 32 business, shuld I thick "use this serial: xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx" and "skip registartion" in vLite without loose any functionality, or any trial period? I just don't know how this activation works in Vista.

Thank you, and please check back later.

Dchard

MOD: I also uploaded the preset I used.

Last_Session.ini

Edited by dchard

dchard, sure is, that's very few removed and you skip all the big ones. I can not imagine that you need Chinese, Japanese and such but it's your choice.

Maybe there is a misinterpretation, selecting the component on the list means remove, ones kept unselected will not be removed.

marauder16, hm interesting, please attach the last session_u.ini file but FIRST edit it and replace your sensitive data with some examples keeping the same synthax.

dchard, for trial you don't have to enter any key, just select skip key and skip activation. You will have 30 days to evaluate, then you have all the options you need in the Control Panel - System to activate.

selecting the component on the list means remove, ones kept unselected will not be removed.

Oh s*** :-) I think this should be highlighted somewhere :-) This is the problem, now I recreate the image.

Thanks!

Dchard

Hehe, it seems everything perfect now:

From the 3300MB ultimate image I can create a 640MB iso, after cutting out the bloatware. I try to intall it after I got home. I attach the preset.

And probably I will fix the hungarian language file, because contains lot of mistypes and other mistakes :-)

But another problem came up: the final iso size is under 700MB, I think this is a happy thing. But when I tryed to write the image to a DVD-RW (like before), nero said it need a CD instead of DVD. All my previous vLite images can be written to a DVD, why this is not possible with an image under 700MB?

Thank you!

Dchard

Last_Session.ini

nuhi: yes, i found it :-)

Ofcourse there are other problems:

1. I cutted off the ultimate release. I booted from the image, when the first "graphical" interface came up (before selecting language and other), it take a lot of time to load. (more than 5-7 minutes!). Then the partitioning panel came up, I see all the drives and partitions. On my SATA2 HDD I made a primary(active) 30GB partition for Vista, but when I selected it the installer said "windows was unable to find system volume that meets criteria". I repartitioned an reformatted the drive with Vista installer's partition manager, but still the sam problem.

2. Then I tryied it with my legal Vista business. I removed all the components like with Ultimate, set the valid license key, and so on, then booted the system with this new image. The first load up (like upper) was very long (5-7 minutes), then I got "There is no image to select" or something similar.

I give you the presets I used with number according to the two case.

Thank you for the help, I really don't know what to do.

Dchard

Last_Session2.ini

Last_Session1.ini

Edited by dchard

And full Vista doesn't have that delay and disk issues? How can vLite be the cause if it doesn't edit the boot image Windows PE...ah.

Search before asking, it's faster:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPo...0&SiteID=17

That second problem could be the wrong key or wrong unattended settings on my part. I know you say it's valid key but I'm just saying from my experience while encountering that issue.

Try without Unattended (delete autounattend.xml in the folder root and remake ISO).

And full Vista doesn't have that delay and disk issues? How can vLite be the cause if it doesn't edit the boot image Windows PE...ah.

Search before asking, it's faster:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPo...0&SiteID=17

HoHo, this is the sollution. :-) Now I'am writing form Vista ultimate.

The installed size is only approx. 2GB, booting faster than XP prof, using same or less memory.

Thank you!

Dchard