What next after Lavasoft/Grisoft drop support for 98 S.E

Hello, newbie here so hi to all,

Can anyone recommend a decent Anti-Virus program and Spyware/Adware Program that works well and be supported for awhile for Windows 98 S.E

Lavasoft and Grisoft are dropping support for 98, and as I use these 2 progs I am concerned that I wont have anything to replace them.

Users of 98 have until August 08 when using the AVG Free AV prog, and sooner than that Lavasoft drop support at the end of this year.

I am aware that Spybot are still supporting 95/98 but I never really like it too much as it appeared to use quite a bit of resource.

I will more than likely have to purchase a new computer with Vista in the Autumn of next year.

I had tried Avast, but there still seems to be a problem using it for 98 with the quick launch icons disappearing, I think it's to do with not enough memory, but I am afraid to try again and install more memory, as I had tried before, and it cause I.E to loop and would not connect, so I removed the memory and went back to 256, I know that is a different topic but is connected in some way.

Thoughts please.

Greetings froman

Welcome to the forums!

First of all, Windows 98se does not handle memory above 256 very well AT ALL. So, MAKE SURE THE MAX. MEMORY USAGE IS SET TO 256. To do this, go to your MS Configuration utility. I'm sure you know how to do that, but just in case you don't :

* Click "Start >> Run"

* In the run box, type : msconfig

* Click on O.K.

The Msconfig box will pop up. Click on the "Advanced" button.

About half way down you will see "Limit memory to ... " Put a tick in that box and then set the memory to 256. Click O.K. .... then click Apply ... and OK again. Done!

--------------------------------------

As far as anti-viral programs go, you can use the free AV scanner called Clam Win. You can read all about it and download it here:

http://www.clamwin.com/

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Dr. Mac

Greetings froman

First of all, Windows 98se does not handle memory above 256 very well AT ALL. So, MAKE SURE THE MAX. MEMORY USAGE IS SET TO 256. To do this, go to your MS Configuration utility. I'm sure you know how to do that, but just in case you don't :

Will this stop the icons disappearing when using Avast then do you think?

Also if it does solve that problem then I hope to use Avast and Spybot 1.5

Edited by frogman

You shouldn't even need those programs. You need to practice good security. Which, for a start, means not using IE, but a recent browser that's actually updated and more secure.

I will more than likely have to purchase a new computer with Vista in the Autumn of next year.

What for? Just so you can run anti-malware programs? That's silly. Not to mention that Windows Vista is a recipe for disaster.

You shouldn't even need those programs. You need to practice good security. Which, for a start, means not using IE, but a recent browser that's actually updated and more secure.

What browser do you recommend then? and one that's supported for 98 S.E

What browser do you recommend then? and one that's supported for 98 S.E

Mozilla Firefox

SeaMonkey

Opera

I'd recommend giving one or more of them a try: All run like a charm on Windows 98.

First of all, Windows 98se does not handle memory above 256 very well AT ALL.

Where are you getting this from if I may ask ?

As far as anti-viral programs go, you can use the free AV scanner called Clam Win. You can read all about it and download it here:

http://www.clamwin.com/

Clam Win is not good IMO. If you want something good go for Antivir/Avira.

As for substitutes for AdAware, there is Spybot S&D, Doctor Alex and SuperAntiSpyware.

And don't forget to run a good firewall. I would recommend Jetico 1.1.

First of all, Windows 98se does not handle memory above 256 very well AT ALL.
Where are you getting this from if I may ask ?

I was going to ask the same question. Will he post an answer?

As for substitutes for AdAware, there is Spybot S&D, Doctor Alex and SuperAntiSpyware.

And don't forget to run a good firewall. I would recommend Jetico 1.1.

I know that many people think Norton Anti-Virus is bloated and slow, I must say that NAV 2002 is the last version that was NOT bloated and slow. And I have confirmed that when you install NAV 2002, it will update itself (LiveUpdate) with the latest definition files and scan engine. And you can re-enable it once a year (for free) if you delete the program completely and re-install it. NAV 2002 came either as stand-alone or as part of Norton System Works (NSW) 2002.

As for firewall, I don't believe in running a software firewall (for win-98 anyways). Get a NAT-router between your computer and your broad-band modem for BEST protection. Outgoing firewalls are useless.

Actually, AV software is pretty much useless these days. They will NOT detect the newest threats, and when they do detect something, they won't delete it. Of course, the situation is worse with win-2K or XP (they are more vulnerable and removal is more difficult vs win-98). I think quite a lot of exploits don't work properly on win-98 anyways.

The threat caused by IE6 when running win-98 is heavily over-rated.

I have no fear running win-98 and IE6.

I also run:

- Adaware

- Spybot SD (browser innoculation)

- Spyware Blaster (browser innoculation)

- a good hosts file

I also make sure I have the LATEST Java JRE, and ALSO uninstall all older versions of JRE (including the one that came with 98 originally).

I also run:

- Adaware

- a good hosts file

You just defeated your own argument.

Moreover, the web browser is crap, having notoriously bad support for web standards.

I also run:

- Adaware

- a good hosts file

I also make sure I have the LATEST Java JRE, and ALSO uninstall all older versions of JRE (including the one that came with 98 originally).

I tried to update in the past, and after I had I noticed the fonts were all strange when playing yahoo pool.

Edited by frogman

As for firewall, I don't believe in running a software firewall (for win-98 anyways). Get a NAT-router between your computer and your broad-band modem for BEST protection. Outgoing firewalls are useless.

I don't think outgoing firewalls are useless and far from it. On 2K/XP Online Armor and Comodo are blocking ALL known bypassing methods for example. Nearly half of the leak test programs don't run on 9x so it is a bit more difficult to assess the situation those platforms but the highest rated firewall (on 2k/xp tests) running on 9x is Jetico 1.1. On my machine it blocked several 0-Days trojans (meaning trojans undetected by any antivir programs) that got dropped in my system while I was browsing with IE.

Actually, AV software is pretty much useless these days. They will NOT detect the newest threats, and when they do detect something, they won't delete it. Of course, the situation is worse with win-2K or XP (they are more vulnerable and removal is more difficult vs win-98). I think quite a lot of exploits don't work properly on win-98 anyways.

Unlike you I run a firewall but no antivir program but I don't think they are useless either as the good ones will detect nearly all known malware, Kaspersky being a major headache for the malware guys it would appear.

But they won't detect, not even only new threats, but also old and known ones that are cleverly edited as to not match antivir programs definitions anymore, which is something nearly any idîot can do nowadays with the help of AV Devil (or similar program) to locate signatures offsets and reading a few small tuts for the final phase consisting in disassembling the signature, swap a few instructions, put it back in the exe and test if it still works. Those who don't want to do that or cannot do it can actually simply buy malware that is guaranteed undetected. Assassin 2.0 costs $100 and Turkojan 3 costs $80 for example. They are the so-called Private Editions. They also lift restrictions sometimes present in the public versions, such as the number of victims you can simultaneously connect to.

It would be foolish to believe 98 systems are not at risk, especially with the broad availability of extremely sophisticated PHP attack toolkits able to determine anything about a system and automatically deliver a custom tailored malware to that system if they can spot a vulnerability.

And those who believe there are no rootkits for the 9x platform are wrong as there are at least two known ones, both with source code if I am not mistaken. AFX Rootkit 2003 which is a user mode rootkit (running in ring3) and 9xRX which is a kernel mode rootkit (running in ring0).

snap0190hf2.pngsnap0191lo5.png

Edited by eidenk

It would be foolish to believe 98 systems are not at risk, especially with the broad availability of extremely sophisticated PHP attack toolkits able to determine anything about a system and automatically deliver a custom tailored malware to that system if they can spot a vulnerability.

And those who believe there are no rootkits for the 9x platform are wrong as there are at least two known ones, both with source code if I am not mistaken. AFX Rootkit 2003 which is a user mode rootkit (running in ring3) and 9xRX which is a kernel mode rootkit (running in ring0).

snap0190hf2.pngsnap0191lo5.png

Hi eidenk. Are you also aware of any reliable 'cloaking' method(s) that would foil any such malicious attempts to identify a system (specifically 9x systems in this context)?

Edited by bristols