SP1 rc1 will not download/install on Vlited installs

dcyphure

read it wont likely download/install under vlited installs and dunno bout anyone else but download under update always fails for me.

i dont know how install would go if i got it outside of updates. can it be integrated?

anyone have any answers/solutions?

is there something specific in vlite that prevents this?

no , it can't be integrated via vlite

http download

http://www.fs2you.com/en/files/b52d110a-a5...1-0014221b798a/

File name: mu_windows_vista_service_pack_1_rc_x86_all.exe

Size: 548.5 MB

Publish date: 2007-12-08 22:34:16 UTC

thanks, however i need the X64 version if you have a link for it i'd apreciate.

but can you or anyone verify that it installs correctly for vlited. public rc1 release is next week, i kinda figured others here would have already posted concerns of it

Edited by dcyphure

dcyphure, you must use full Vista if you want to apply SP1, there is nothing weird about it. Once there is image with SP1 preintegrated released you can use component removal.

Hotfix download and install should work just fine on Windows Update, check if all your services are working, don't disable them manually, especially WU, Bits and Management Instrumentation.

Once there is image with SP1 preintegrated released you can use component removal.

sorry to bother you with more noobism but i didnt understand what you mean in that part. do you mean i must integrate it in Vlite first before removal of anything? or you saying i'd have to wait till SP1 is officially released and purchase the copy of vista that has it integrated before i can remove anything in Vlite? i cant afford that just to beable to remove components.

Hotfix download and install should work just fine on Windows Update, check if all your services are working, don't disable them manually, especially WU, Bits and Management Instrumentation.

i dont see a service listed called bits and managment although i have WMI which is running if thats what you mean, but WU is already running, i havnt disabled anything manually since i installed it.

so i'm a tad confused, is sp1 suppose to work with vlited installs or not.

Dear Santa,

I've been a very good boy and have been using "nuhi's lite" versions of windows since... I can't even remember... reinstalled windows bagilian times trying to get it perfect and never complained once. :angel

Any chances of me (and entire world) getting a new version of vLite that integrates SP1 for Christmas (or before)? :whistle:

Thank you.

YACO

This is mainly to do with how microsoft has made the SP1 RC, Beta was integratable but microsoft removed this option when they decided it was too buggy when it works fine.... but they still removed the integration option. Nothing we can do except install vista, install sp1 and remake the image using sysprep.

I just tried to install SP1 RC1 and it wouldnt work because it asks for 7gb free space! I only have 5.5 free so it wouldnt go through with the install. Also just found out about it not working with Vlited systems, so thats another thing. :(

It says:

5. After the SP1 setup is complete, you'll find yourself back at the main Vista desktop with the Sysprep window open and SP1 will be installed and ready to go. From the Sysprep selection window, select OOBE, Generalize, and to Shut Down the system.
6. Boot the system into a WinPE disk or another OS install (ie. XP), do NOT boot back into that Vista install, and run the following imagex command (imagex can be found in WAIK):

imagex /compress maximum /flags "Business" /capture d: c:\install.wim "Windows Vista Business"

where d: is the drive Vista is installed on and c:\install.wim is the location to store the new install.wim. Replace "Business" with whatever edition of Vista you installed and replace the drive letters (d: and c:\install.wim) with your own.

How did you accomplish this inside VM?

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm well on my way...

Edited by razormoon

Nuhi,

This is excruciatingly slow (on VM), but I have a question.

When you ran the SP1 exe, did you let it reboot or should I just untic "Reboot automatically" and generalize when done without reboot?

EDIT:

I'm going on my 4th hour (MS vPC) and am up to the ten million reboots (Installing Service Pack: Stage 1 of Eternity).

I guess the above question doesn't matter anymore, I think I fell asleep during a crucial moment? Anyway, I'll post my own answer for whoever decides to torture themselves with this...........

Edited by razormoon

razormoon, let it to automatically restarts, only after you get a message that SP1 is installed then you generalize.

Btw mine took 1 hour and I thought it was too long. Maybe you're not giving it enough memory or your HDD was busy with something else.

jamieo, because this way there is no risk for the real data and I have a template to easily make sp integrations on the fly.

I started at 9pm and finished somewhere around 3am. Go figure.

I'm going to say that I did not give it enough RAM, but stranger things have happened. I just noticed that my WIM has a funky temp dir and perflog dir and it won't let me delete them. I guess it could be worse.

Well, I'm about to test.