Is this just a silly dream?

galahs

Firstly can I acknowledge the awesome collection of unofficial updates for Windows 9x. I know I speak on behalf of the entire Win9x community that they have truly helped extend the use of Win9x beyond its Microsoft supported period.

But now that Win9x has been well and truly abandoned I have been thinking about what would be the best way to create an ultimate Win9x operating system.

Most agree Windows 98 Second Edition is the most stable base to build a Win9x system (except those with very low end PC's)

So I believe a single update for Windows 98 Second Edition would be best.

Now I know Gape has made a great unofficial service pack but I am thinking about a project that takes it even further. One that also includes all of Windows Millennium Edition's updated files identified with MDGx's 98SE2ME project.

Therefore this update for Windows 98 SE would include all...

- Official Microsoft Updates for Windows 98SE

- Unofficial Microsoft Updates for Windows 98SE

- All critical 3rd party updates for Windows 98SE

- All of Windows Me's updated file versions (of course users would have to own a Windows Me licensed product to use)

- Essential 3rd Party feature modifications such as Copy2GB, 137GB + Hard Disks (.2225 version), Native USB Support.

So now we'd have a single update and download that basically ensures we have a Windows 9x version ready to march on through the last stretch of its useful life. Every file possible updated to the latest Win9x version, secure, safe and fast!!!

Yes I know these modifications can be done now, but it is a piece meal approach more useful for computer guru's because you have to install multiple updates in the correct order for them to work.

What I'm talking about is a simple to use (single download, double click and install type) update.

Have I gone mad?

:wacko:

Yeah, actually I was just about to ask the same question until I saw your thread. I would take it a step further in that, would it be possible to somehow combine the updates / patches and display improvements with the installation CD for 98SE? I understand that one couldn't download the modified ISO, but perhaps someone could create a how-to manual on modifying / replacing the original files and creating their own CD. That way, when you installed Windows, you wouldn't have to do anything.