Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Sign in to follow this  
sven

File server processors

Hey,

i'm buying a little grey box server ~25$ to replace my power hungry pentium 4 that currently sits in my basement. I have the choice between a 700MHZ celeron processor or a 533MHZ pentium 3. i know that if a pentium and a celeron have the same clock speed, the pentium will be faster, the only problem here is that they are at different clock speeds, so i would like to know your inputs. they both cost around the same price (extra buck or 2). i don't know what the FSB speed is for the ram, but what do you expect for used computers.

thanks

Sv3n

The Celeron2 700MHz will be faster then the PIII 533MHz Altrough the FSB of the PIII is double that of the Celeron2.

For pure file serving, you don't need very much CPU power at all. I'd go with the PIII - the extra FSB would probably do more for overall system performance than the CPU clock speed.

If you aren't doing anything crazy like ABE with the file server, almost anything made in the last 10 years should work just fine. Disk speed and network speed will matter far more than CPU horsepower.