4 Monitors?

Justas

Is it possible to SLI, or just have 2 video cards, to have 4 independent displays?

Like can 2 8800 SLI together produce 4 independent displays or will it be restricted to 2? Haven't tried this before but would rather not have to open up several video cards to test it out. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

If I'm not mistaken you can run 4 monitors, but not while actually using SLI. What I mean by that is that you can use 4 monitors in Windows but you can only use two of them while running SLI in a game. That may have changed though...

Well they need it for their server to run 4 independent displays for it. They need to be able to use all 4 at the same time. I am not sure if SLI or dual video cards would accomplish this or not without getting a card meant for things like Auto CAD which would probably be very expensive.

"SLI" and "CrossFire" are terms for linking the video cards for better (mostly) gaming performance. Yes, using two NVIDIA or two ATI cards will allow you to run all four monitors at once. They don't have to be linked for that to work. The problem then becomes whether or not the server actually has two PCIe 16X slots for the two cards.

Ah thats good to hear lol... So they don't need to be linked with CF or SLI to have them both work at the same time?

Now to decide if its cheaper to get 2 PCIe cards and new board... or a single card that is capable of 4 monitors from 1 output...

Thanks for the fast replies :).

One more question just came up before i hit send that you could most likely help me with...

Customer wants a Commando motherboard with an Intel P965 chipset. But they also want 2 8800 cards in there for SLI (gaming)... Will this even work without an official SLI board? (The Commando supports CF so I assume it will work... just not very well) Thanks :)

SLI will only work on nVidia chipsets. You're outta luck if you want to use an Intel chipset and SLI.

You can however, use two independent nVidia video cards on an Intel chipset - that's no problem. :)

SLI will only work on nVidia chipsets.

Actually...that's only half true. :)

SLI works on Intel chipsets...but NVIDIA disables it via the driver if an Intel chipset is detected...unless it's a 945GM chipset in one of the SLI laptops. It's some licensing thing.

I've read (last sentence of first paragraph) that SLI has been seen working on the X38 chipset using some hackery. No instructions were provided on how to hack the driver though. Intel has also done something so that the Skulltrail platform supports SLI (that's an expensive route to go though).

SLI works on Intel chipsets...but NVIDIA disables it via the driver if an Intel chipset is detected...
I think we talked about this before. Did you find some hard proof of that? Remember that I told you IF it was true, people would have done it there selves a lot more then just the site you are referring too, and other sites referring to that site... if you know what a mean ;).

We did talk about it before and apparently it used to be easy to modify the NVIDIA drivers to remove the Intel chipset check. But it appears that NVIDIA got smart and made some other change to the drivers that hasn't been undone yet.

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/show...d.php?p=2465093

I'm pretty sure it stands to reason that if the 945GM chipset can do SLI in laptops that the 965/975/P35/X38/etc could do it on the desktop. :)